Hard start

Hey guys, i picked up a new to me 2004 FZ1 and i absolutely love it. I am having an issue with is though and would love some help. When i start it after it sits a while, it cranks over alot before actually starting, i have to give it a little throttle to start. The choke does not seem to help either. If its been ridden it fires right up.Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Check to make sure that the choke cable is actually moving the choke lever. I have seen those broken or disconnected. The choke lever in the bars may seem like it's doing its job even though it's not actually operating the choke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Check to make sure that the choke cable is actually moving the choke lever. I have seen those broken or disconnected. The choke lever in the bars may seem like it's doing its job even though it's not actually operating the choke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Seems to me it is working as it does kill the engine if its running and i choke it.

Put a few tanks of Chevron Gasoline through it. Mine had similar issues when running on Costco Brand Gasoline, changing to a better quality fuel stopped all my issues.

Back