Happy Skipping.

John 1

Hi,I've just bought a new 2009 FZ1N,after trading in my GSR600. Although I am limited to 6,000 revs.running in,it still allowes me to push on a bit round the lanes and local B roads. Engine is great, but I need advice on how to set up the suspension,as on fast bumpy bends (about 75-85 mph) the back end is skipping out.It also does the same when cutting accross white lines. It is set up on the standard settings,as supplied new,and although I am a 14 stone rider,it seems too hard to my mind. I understand about pre-load, but I dont really understand about "rebound", and how it is set up with variouse pre-load settings. Anybody of about my weight got their suspension sorted,and can give me some advice on the settings??? Any advice on setting it up would be appreciated!!

Well, I am heavier than you. In lbs, you are about 196 and I am 224. I have the rear shock preload set to 6 and the front preload shows a single ring out the top of each fork. What you are likely looking to adjust at this point though is the compression and rebound. These are items I've not played with on my bike to date but I'm guessing we have a few folks here that have made adjustments and can chime in.

And, :welcome: and congrats on the new ride! :tup:h

fine tuning

I have a 2008 FZ 1 with fairing. I weigh about 190 lbs. The rear shock spring preload is set to 6 and the rear compession setting up 3 clicks from the factory setting. The front spring preload,I increased so 3 notches, (rings) are showing and both rebound and compression were increased by three clicks from the factory. It seem to work great even under fairly aggressive riding. A note:I also have a set of Givi bags on the bike now, most of the time they are empty but they add about 10 lbs to the rear of the bike with the brackets and bags. I would think a bit of Downforce as well.:cheers:

Hi Guys.Nice to hear from you both. Thanks for the information,I've got somewhere to start from now.I am planning a weekend of testing several settings.I will see what happens!

Suspension components needs to be runned in just like engine components. It's a lot of friction in them, specially in cheap-ish components...
Generally when you increase preload, you want to increase rebound damping also. Compression damping is not adjustable in the rear on this bike, unless they changed it from -06 to -09??

I ended up swapping the rear unit for an Ohlins. It is set at it's standard base setup. In the front I first set all to standard positions, then I backed off 4 clicks on the compression damping. I also have a 190/55 rear tire. This setup works very good for road riding, and I often ride on roads with less than perfect surface. I would say it works extremely well, nice neutral steering and lots of feedback. It's up there with the best bikes I've ever ridden. My weight is 82kg (181lbs) without gear.

When you are having problems with traction try go to a softer setting first.

Last edited:
Generally when you increase preload, you want to increase rebound damping also. Compression damping is not adjustable in the rear on this bike, unless they changed it from -06 to -09??

On my 08 there is a single small screw at the bottom of the rear shock with arrows pointing left and right. Now I may be wrong about it being for compression damping. It may very well be for rebound damping, Seems to make sense. I agree though that you should always adjust both together. I'll take a picture tonight and post it.:wazzup:

Last edited:
Back