Gutting pre-cat?

mwilkins21

hi i just got my fz1 a few weeks ago and im thinking about gutting the pre-cat to make it a lil louder im just conserned it will be too loud or if i go to get a slip on someday it will be way too loud without it can anyone shed some light on this maybe with their experiences or pictures and videos would be awesome thanks

Wish I had something to offer but I only have an observation, for I own a Gen I. I run a MIVV GP shorty can on a Gen I and pass LEO on a daily basis on my way to work w/o too much worry.

If you can afford to, drop the anchor and upgrade up to something that fits the lines of the bike better.

Welcome to the forum and whereabouts in Kansas are you loated?

(myself, raised in Wichita, School in Lawrence, lived in KC before coming to NM)

Adam

Gutting the cat in the headers will free up 2-3 HP, but wont add much noise with the stock muffler. As far as it being too loud down the road with a slip-on that depends on what slip-on muffler you go with. Some will be too loud even with the cat in the header intact. I suggest you put off that mod until you get a slip-on muffler. This way if it's not too loud you can remove it and add a little more volume.

Gutting the cat in the headers will free up 2-3 HP, but wont add much noise with the stock muffler. As far as it being too loud down the road with a slip-on that depends on what slip-on muffler you go with. Some will be too loud even with the cat in the header intact. I suggest you put off that mod until you get a slip-on muffler. This way if it's not too loud you can remove it and add a little more volume.

What ^^^ said. I can tell you that the Two Brothers slip-on without the DB killer and with the CAT still intact is really loud! I can't imagine what it sounds like if I gut the cat. I'm considering a DB killer for it, maybe even the P4. I'm going to make my own out of some plate aluminum first with the holes sized to the P1 and P4 tips then decide which one sounds better before buying one.

I can tell you for sure that if you don't want the loudest, do not gut the cat and install the TB slip-on. :D

Wish I had something to offer but I only have an observation, for I own a Gen I. I run a MIVV GP shorty can on a Gen I and pass LEO on a daily basis on my way to work w/o too much worry.

If you can afford to, drop the anchor and upgrade up to something that fits the lines of the bike better.

Welcome to the forum and whereabouts in Kansas are you loated?

(myself, raised in Wichita, School in Lawrence, lived in KC before coming to NM)

Adam

How do you like your MIVV GP Shorty? I have a stock '07 that needs to be heard...

I have come to find out that what I thought was a loud pipe is actually quite subdued. Only until you crack it open and you begin to climb in RPMs. The look and finish is reallly something else, and the local US supplier, PJ's Parts - Accessories For Every Bike And Rider, will absolutely blow you away with pricing and customer service.

Welcome to the forum, Schrader. Where about in KS. are you located? (still early in the am for thinking you were mwilkins21)

Adam

Before you destroy a very expensive exhaust header, take into consideration that Yamaha spent a ton of money developing a machine that meets EPA requirements and has a pretty darned good performance record to boot. You'd be much better off to buy an aftermarket can that will allow you to go back to original configuration if necessary. Not many buyers want to buy a used machine that has been butchered by a novice and as already has been said, just getting rid of the CAT in the header isn't going to have a noticeable change in the tone of the exhaust system. By the way, it's tone, not volume that most people want to change. If you pay close attention to some of the best sounding machines out there today, it's tone, not simply making a lot of noise that draws people to a particular configuration, unless you're talking about the "boys in blue".

Back