gurgling noise plus not running equals.....

went on a 500 mile ride last weekend. coolant line got damanged so lost all my coolant. got back and the next day the bike wasn't running. put bike on battery charger and finally got it running again. well replaced the line that was damaged and got some coolant into the system now bike won't start again and when i do try to start it there is a gurgling noise towards the top of the engine. any idea what could be wrong and maybe how much to get it fixed?

Are you saying you lost all the coolant and kept on riding regardless?

The gurgling is likely not enough coolant put back into the system. Add it through the tank that is located under the seat and run the bike (if you can get it to start) and keep adding until you've hit at least the low mark on the canister.

Now, if you ran the bike without coolant, you may have over-heated certain engine parts that rely on being cooled and ruined them. Have you tried to bump-start the bike? Does it turn over easily, just doesn't fire up or does it struggle to turn over?

Are you saying you lost all the coolant and kept on riding regardless?

The gurgling is likely not enough coolant put back into the system. Add it through the tank that is located under the seat and run the bike (if you can get it to start) and keep adding until you've hit at least the low mark on the canister.

Now, if you ran the bike without coolant, you may have over-heated certain engine parts that rely on being cooled and ruined them. Have you tried to bump-start the bike? Does it turn over easily, just doesn't fire up or does it struggle to turn over?

it was full when i took off then completely empty when i got back, so was my oil. i got it running and then after wards i put coolant in it and haven't been able to get it to start again. couldn't bump start it. but it was turning over easily

it was full when i took off then completely empty when i got back, so was my oil. i got it running and then after wards i put coolant in it and haven't been able to get it to start again. couldn't bump start it. but it was turning over easily

Wait. . .so you ran it dry on coolant and oil? :spank2:

Did you not look at your dummy lights? Did you ignore them?

Someone correct me if im wrong here fellas, but if you lost coolant and it overheated it could have messed up the headgasket and thats how the coolant got into the oil.

I have never heard of any engine running out of oil and coolant and continue running for any length of time. Did you see any smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Last edited:
drained some of the oil just to check it and there was some coolant in it...what would that mean?

Oil mixed with coolant is a sign of a blown head gasket. Honestly, if you ran it without oil or coolant I think it will be a miracle if the head gasket is the ONLY problem. Aluminum warps when it overheats and every internal moving part of the engine needs a constant supply of oil to prevent damage. I wouldn't be surprised if the cylinder head is warped, the rod bearings spun, etc. etc. Sorry to bring bad news but I can't imagine you won't end up needing an engine rebuild. It is VERY odd that you lost all coolant and oil and NO warning lights came on...

never saw any smoke. i eventually got it to start, fixed the hose that got messed up where the coolant was leaking, put some coolant in it and that's when the gurgling noise started and I haven't been able to get it to start since

never saw any smoke. i eventually got it to start, fixed the hose that got messed up where the coolant was leaking, put some coolant in it and that's when the gurgling noise started and I haven't been able to get it to start since

I still think that your head gasket is blown and most likely the head is warped. I once had a coolant hose burst on one of my cars and it went from ok to overheating in a matter of seconds, I saw white smoke from under the hood and looked down to find the temperature gauge pegged so I pulled over immediately. I was able to cut off the split part of the hose and refill the coolant and drive it home. It seemed to run ok under light load, but when driving on the interstate or for more than a few minutes the temperature would start climbing.
I ended up doing a compression check and found two adjacent cylinders (where the head gasket blew) low on compression. The overheating was due to exhaust gases pumping into the coolant under load. The coolant would make a gurgling noise due to air in the system from the blown head gasket.
Bottom line, you need to tear the engine down and at a minimum replace the head gasket and resuface the head. If you are very lucky that MAY be the only issue. Coolant and oil mixing is a sign of a blown head gasket, and once the oil becomes diluted with coolant, it will not lubricate the engine properly.

With coolant in the oil, you will need to do a complete rebuild and replace all the bearings and gaskets. As stated above, I'm sure you have a LOT of internal parts that are no longer within spec. Might be cheaper to start looking for a used engine to purchase and junk this one. The head and valves have little clearance now and if you need to plane them to get them true again, then you will have issues with valve clearances. If any coolant reached a bearing, the bearing is already corroding and useless.

Sorry, but you've officially blown the engine.

thank goodness. i traded the bike for a 80 gs850g in fairly good condition with only 10,000 miles. thank you God for that trade, but i really hope that guy can get that fz running. anyways thanks for all the advice and information guys. welp off to sign up with gsresources lol

Back