grinding noise?

I got a used '01 fz1 last week. I ended up driving about 1,000 miles over the weekend about 200 with a passenger. when i got home i noticed that there was a rough grinding below 3,000 rpm's. always happens in 1st gear and then not as bad in 2nd then don't notice it any other time. chain was loose so tightened that up didn't help any. any suggestions? maybe just a cleaning and chain lube and oil change? or maybe something with the gears? anyways has about 20,000 miles. let me know what ya think is wrong.

also in in 1st gear when you pull in the clutch is it suppose to sound like it's winding down as you slow down and start breaking? thanks

If you did not change the engine oil and filter when you bought it do it now. You have no idea how the previous owner may have cared for it.

You will hear some engine whine even when pulling in the clutch lever when coming to a stop. Heck, even with it in neutral the rear tire will spin when on a stand.

THIS WAS POST #1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you did not change the engine oil and filter when you bought it do it now. You have no idea how the previous owner may have cared for it.

You will hear some engine whine even when pulling in the clutch lever when coming to a stop. Heck, even with it in neutral the rear tire will spin when on a stand.

THIS WAS POST #1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your 1000th!!!:thewave:

I would definitely change your oil and filter followed by giving the chain a good cleaning with kerosene and relube. Also, run the bike away from any traffic, then shut the key off and let it coast with the clutch in and listen. Sometimes its the brakes grabbing.

alright well i'll do that tomorrow. in pj's and in for the night lol thanks for the suggestions.

also is it suppose to sound like it's winding down? it's rather annoying lol

Ummmm ya see my pjs consist of just long pants so I was just in that then I misjudged the angle it would flow out so there was a nice puddle right where I was working and since the pants drag those had to come off so it wouldn't get in the oil lol. Comando anyone? Lol

Back