Greetings from Melbourne...just bought a 2009 FZ1s!

Greetings folks,

I have been riding a fair few of my 36 years, from haggard XT250 in the english countryside to slothful Honda H100 to lively TZR125 to Honda CB1-400 to 99' CBR600f to 99' R6 to 07 R6 and today to 09' FZ1S. I love the R6, it is a devil steed, the most manic beast I have ridden, insanely sharp handling, can be thrown around like a feather in the wind, don't even need to think much, just point with my eyes and the bike heads there, ferociously. However, a few long distance trips this year, as I have finally began to explore the gorgeous surrounds outside of Melbourne, have led to chronic lower back pain. The thing simply wasnt designed for high speed journeys of 500km in 24 hours, or 700km in three days. I now have constant aches whenever I ride. The Rossi position seems ill advised for such endeavour!

So with reluctance, I had ear-marked the FZ1, speed triple and Z1000. All of which had offerings within my price range...

Took the FZ for a test ride today. My back, which needs some physio, was aching from the ride on my R6. The ache was close to gone instantly as soon as I was seated more upright on the FZ!

Steering felt more stiff than the R6. I was a little tentative at first, then soon enough, filtering through the traffic at lights and in movement. Power seems fine low down, then comes one beastly at 5000rpm, and the major difference is that it reaches high speed without any roaring. A flick of the throttle and I was doing 100 without even realising!

The gear change peg felt slightly odd, position wise, yet I soon adjusted, and the changes seemed much smoother than the R6. Took it down some small town roads to check for more nifty cornering and found it fine; I think the steering range is actually far wider. Perhaps the stiffness I felt was due to the weight increase? Or maybe due to other factors?

I could tell it will be wonderful for opening up the throttle and touring. May even invest in some panniers yet unsure where to get them from presently. Whilst still a little forward in position its immensely more comfortable than the R6. I just may have to take some time to learn how to throw it about in the City traffic.

Agreed on a price of $6855 (2009 Fz1s). 8k on the clock. will come with RW. rego until december of this year. original manual, tool kit and spare keys. Seems very well looked after, other than a mark or two on the exhaust and oggy knob where he put it down at 25k/h to avoid hitting a dog. Other than which appears mint.

Now onto all that power...which seems, even detuned, hugely above 5000rpm.

I have read that replacing the stock front sprocket with one less fang will have a noticeable effect on low down torque??? Is this true??? And how costly would it be?? Maybe best to wait until the whole chain and sprockets needs replacing! Get used to it calm before chaotic.

What of this power commander routine? Would that make a noticeable difference to the power range? And again, any idea of the cost?

Lastly...what of that huge exhaust? Is it something which can be changed to something lighter, yet legal?? Costly?? Any point doing so???

Any and all advice is welcome!

many thanks,

TGP

2hnxnvd.jpg

Hi and welcome
Glad your enjoying your new ride ..Personally I don't have problems with the gearing on mine , possibly due to the kind of roads around Devon , you can replace the stock can with a slip on relatively cheap , often come up for sale second hand on here or eBay ,, power commander will make a fair difference to the fueling not life changing though !

Hi, depends how much you want to spend. Full Yoshi exhaust and a flash of the ECU will unleash the beast within. More Mid range torque and a modest increase at the top end. Also what do the tyres look like? Mine gets heavy and tippy? when the front is worn. Sort of falls to the worn area and wants to stay there.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I'd look at some handling mods like R1 forks and a new rear shock.
For power mods definitely get the ECU flashed and install a Yoshimura full system.
The Yoshi headers have longer secondaries than other headers which gives a good midrange boost.
One others thing, ditch the stock seat it sux.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi, depends how much you want to spend. Full Yoshi exhaust and a flash of the ECU will unleash the beast within. More Mid range torque and a modest increase at the top end. Also what do the tyres look like? Mine gets heavy and tippy? when the front is worn. Sort of falls to the worn area and wants to stay there.

Guess the tyres would make a difference to the feel of the steering/turning...they seem very different to the R6 tyres! More for touring perhaps?

2zg6jkj.jpg

mjvleu.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I'd look at some handling mods like R1 forks and a new rear shock.
For power mods definitely get the ECU flashed and install a Yoshimura full system.
The Yoshi headers have longer secondaries than other headers which gives a good midrange boost.
One others thing, ditch the stock seat it sux.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

First I have found of R1 forks and new rear shock, yet again these will be mega pricey?? Not aiming for cheapest of the cheap, yet wish to focus my $1000 or so I was earmarking for potential modifications in the best possible way, to unleash a little of the power, perhaps lighten the load a little, and move the beast towards more of its natural eagerness towards berserker!

Nope, not an R6 but a great bike. Drop your forks 5 to 10mm, and make sure you have a 190/55 rear tire. Those two changes make the bike handle much quicker. For tires I really enjoy Q3's.

Welcome aboard. My tires looked the exactly same from the previous owner but I was able to take them much closer to the edge, even with the VERY square profile. I just replaced the rear OEM Dunlop with a Michelin Pilot Road 2. I can't believe the rear tire made is to 12,000kms. I rarely see more than 5000km on any other rear tire on my other bikes. The front probably has another 1500km of life left and I have a Road 2 waiting to go on. I have a ZX-6R parked beside my FZ1 and they are completely different beasts. I enjoy both a lot but my old bones have been enjoying the FZ1 more lately. I also just bought a 2009 FZ1 last month and have 1000kms on it so far. I am planning a couple of big trips next week and my knees are looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I am perhaps getting a little ahead of myself and should wait until I have adjusted to the new beast come October! It may well be wonderful as it stands, and if the steering continues to feel heavy/stiff I can then investigate further dropping the bars! Does 5-10mm make a real difference? Costly to have a mechanic adjust?

My interest in changing the can is lessening. I had thought I could save a few KGs? yet all that seems to be gained is a different noise? Unless I replace the whole exhaust and remove the EXUP which will cost a bomb I assume?

I found the steering heavy at slow speeds but now I don't even notice it. My wife made the same observation. I thought there was something wrong with the bike at first but it was the same on both FZ1s I tried. It is just so different from the ZX-6R and probably your R6. Give it a few miles and go from there.

Picked up the beast this afternoon...after this last week riding a GN250 around Coromandel (NZ) I was extremely eager for the FZ1. After the seller met me, and we chatted for a while he mentioned that the mechanics who did the RoadWorthy said the battery was a bit sluggish. He has hardly ridden the thing for the last year. When I saw it a month ago it was covered in dust. Since then he has taken it to the mechanics and back and to me. 80km in total.

It wouldn't start! He gave me a bump start and it roared into life. Suggesting if any problems to contact him, which I believe. Yet I rode the beast for a solid 50km or so, and had so much fun. I adored its power. Handling was swift. Grip fine, although when placed against my R6 the rear seems HUGE.

Power was phenomenal and quiet. the pull from 3-4k upwards was staggering and wonderful. The pull is beastly. Will stay on the R6 this week for work, then sell her next weekend and ear-mark a day to play on the FZ.

Should I be worried about the battery? Or any other part of the charging mechanism? Or wait until I am riding the beast daily? I have a charger, so can apply an overnight charge? What rpm does she need to give charge to the battery>?

Insurance companies were unsure if it was a 2008 or W series. How can I tell?

Presently, I feel there is a huge amount of power to play with and enjoy, from ear to ear...

Registered here as a 2008 model. Which makes little difference to me, although I will check the plate you mentioned, mate!

Only thing I am thinking of loosely at this stage is getting another exhaust. May shave a few kgs off the weight? And offer slight increase in power? If I get a slipon, such as this one>>>

DS70 Carbon Muffler Silencer Exhaust Slip ON Yamaha FZ1 Fazer FZS1000 2006 2014 | eBay

Do I need to have the mapping/ ECU changed?

Also...any idea how much a power commander would cost? Not that I seem to need one, but I remain...intrigued!

Back