Got to Get to the bottom

For a year now I've been reading about the necessity to put an FCE on the Gen II bikes because of abruptness in throttle response. I'm one of the few who doesn't feel the need. I'm a relatively moderate rider and although originally I felt the throttle was very jerkey below 4000 when shifting, I've learned to keep the revs up in the higher band and it's fine for my liking when I do so. I've been pondering this subject and can't help but ask the engineering wizards of the forum a few questions I have. First, just exactly how does the fuel cut-off stop the fuel flow? I tried to find it in the service manual but no luck. I would believe that it senses throttle position and rpm at least and when the throttle position decreases (closes) at certain rpm's, the injectors stop opening. The FCE, if this is the case, prevents the injectors from ceasing to operated under these circumstances. The two most important questions I have as far as the operation of the ECM is, with the the addition of the FCE, does the troublshooting of the FI system follow the same path or does it change any? Secondly, in case of an accident or mechancal failure because the fueling system quit working properly, who bites the bullet when it's discovered that the fuel system was tampered with? I just thought this subject at least deserved some thought before one of us was the one who bit the big one without considering the consequences of modifying a system that was engineered to prevent the ECM from malfunctioing in the first place.

:chat:

Well, here is Ivan's explaination and he's the owner of the FCE system should you want to buy it. Ivan's Performance Products

It does void your warranty but if placed correctly and with a bit of minor engineering, you can easily remove it before any servicing.

Personally, on my 2009, I don't see it as a huge issue. While I've experienced it a couple times, I didn't find it to be a big problem given the conditions I was in. That being said... if I was using the bike for track only, I'd definitely install the FCE. My street riding doesn't warrant the need for it though.

Hope that helps a bit. :D

Well I doubt the manual would make any mention of the fuel cut-off since it's not really something you can service or adjust. I would imagine that the ECU can tell when to shut off the injectors based on RPM, TPS and MAP readings.

On my '06 FCE works great. '07 and up I guess it's not needed as much, but I can't really say since I have not ridden another Gen II FZ1 besides mine.

Back