Got Oil Cap?

So today I got up early with the intent on changing oil in my car as well as the FZ1. First up, BIKE! mission complete exept i left the filler cap loose until all the oil settles so I can add more if needed. Did the car next, all was good. Even washed, and waxed both the FZ and my car. Oh by the way oil level is good on the bie so no need to add more, KOOL! PSSST PSST!! the oil cap is still loose.

Well its 78 degrees in Columbus today so I decide I'm going for a spin to the dealership to order some bearings for my Stryker (wheels are in CA being chromed). I showered get on, headed out for a nice spirited 16 mile trip, all was good until I arrived at my destination and got off my bike. Smoke? Oil along the side? YIKES!! $hit, oil cap MIA. So now I'm stuck with no ride home because of course they don't have any in stock and didn't find any used ones laying around. They however had 2 new FZ6 on the floor hmmmm. No can't do, darn.

Well after my xx oil change, on bikes and cars, this is a first for me but I feel retarded nonetheless.

Oh crap, that sucks. I'd go outside and find any branch from a tree around the same diameter as the filler hole, clean it a bit with something sharp, and turn it in at least three turns. That will hold until you get home.

Well left the bike there and got a ride home from a friend. Here I am with 2 bikes, neither of which I can currently ride. Hopefuly oil cap comes in by Wdnesday. Stryker won't be back in comision until 1st week of Feb when my rims retun from ClassicComponents in CA, then I'll ride for 30 days and deploy. March is going to be a month of nothing but riding unless its raining

God Bless your southern weather! Wednesday will be here before you know it. I've been dying for a ride but it looks like it won't be for another couple of months. I hope we have another year of little or no snow here in NY!

Found this thread while searching. I had a similar situation come up Saturday. Rode about 55 miles without the oil cap.

Was there any damage done to the engine being run without a cap? I'm not familiar enough with motorcycle engines to know if there's any type of internal pressure that needs to be maintained with the filler cap secured.

Back