Got it Running! '71 Honda CL175 Scrambler

A couple of weekends ago, I picked up a non-running 1971 Honda Scrambler. This was all precipitated by a friend asking me if I would ride "chase" for him on the Lake Erie Loop in June 2015. I was talking about how fun it could be to participate, and the guy who sits next to me said, "Why don't you buy my bike?"

He described it as "... a 1972 Honda C-something 125... haven't run it in about 15 years."

Hm. I've always thought it would be cool to resurrect an old bike. This seemed like the perfect opportunity. It was cheap, so I went out to his place a few days before my birthday. When I pulled up to his house, there was this powder-blue 175 Scrambler sitting out front. Figuring that it was the right place, despite not matching the description, I went ahead and knocked. I was afraid to even attempt to start it given that the gasoline was at least ten years old.

Here we are about ten days later. I cleaned out the tank (and discovered a bad petcock) and carbs, changed the oil and a few other small items. My curiosity got the better of me, though, so I filled the carbs with fuel and tried to turn it over. It took a few tries, a little starting fluid, but she fired up! I'm completely geeked now! There's still a lot of work to do (new petcock is on order as a starting point), but at least now I have some assurance that it won't all be in vain!

[video=youtube;2vwxWXM_rKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vwxWXM_rKw[/video]

Very cool. That little guy looks pretty clean for not running in 15 years. You got any pics? You planning to do anything else than make it road worthy?

First priority is road-worthiness, then general clean-up. I managed to crack both side covers trying to get to the air filters, and they're relatively pricey to replace. I'll see if I can repair them. For now, I just want it to run well! 650 miles in one day is a hell of a load on any vintage bike. Here's a link to the imgur album for more pictures.

Nice classic bike clyde

Thanks, Lonney!

I finally got around to transferring the title today. I didn't register it because Michigan allows historic registration with a plate from the same year as vehicle was manufactured. I'm now on the hunt for a 1971 MI motorcycle plate!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back