Got a question for you FZ1 Veterans out there.

drclarksmith

Alright guys, I just picked up a power commander III and installed it on my bike. I uploaded a map for the stock bike and a stock air filter. I felt a difference with no other performance mods as of yet? I have an Akrapovic Slip-On that was shipped out today, and I'll have it before the weekend.

I've noticed a good increase with stock 08 FZ1, but can't wait to add the Akrapovic exhaust and aftermarket air filter.

My two questions are this.

1.) What air filter do you recommend to go with the Akrapovic Exhaust?

2.) Anyone else have any advice on wether or not I should spend the extra coin and have a certified dynojet power commander guy set it up? I hear it makes a difference, but I also saw that on the power commander website that they have pre made factory maps for my exhaust? So what's the deal with paying someone, if I already know how to send maps to the PC III on my own? Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

I agree about the BMC filter. Also modify your air box to allow more air in.

You'll get a nice boost in power from replacing the stock muffler in addition to losing at least 10 lbs. You may want to remove the catalytic converter in the factory header while you have the muffler off.

As for a custom map, I guess the only way I could see it being worth it was if you were never going to modify your bike ever again. Once you made some additional performance mods then the map may or may not be ideal.

However, as jlewis02 said there are plenty of good maps out there so just play with those. That's what I intend to do when I install my PC V.

I can't recommend an air filter as I think stock is the best set up for the street, but that is an totally different thread...

Even with a stock bike a custom dyno tune with a PC3/5 is the way to go. The maps for DJ are rather generic and usually richen the entire map and hide issues. You can get much better results with a map made just your bike but wait until you get the exhaust and filter on.

The PC5 is outstanding so find a tuner who fully understand the capability of the system. They can create a map for EACH gear and you have the ability to select between two maps; track vs. touring for example. Also each cylinder can be trimmed to get a very smooth running motor.

I prefer the Factory Pro dynos over the DJ dynos, eddy current vs. inertia, as with the FPs you can hold the bike at a given rpm/throttle position and work on a specific area of the power band. Most DJs use a simple sweep test instead. FP also uses a 4 Gas EGA instead of working towards the "magic" air-fuel ratio. The 4 Gas helps you find the correct AFR at all rmps and throttle positions to get complete combustion = more power, better throttle response and usually better mileage.

I had my FZ6 custom tuned and the difference was significant. I'm in the process of having this done on my 1125R and so far the progress is very good.

Good luck and enjoy! :D

Last edited:
I can't recommend an air filter as I think stock is the best set up for the street, but that is an totally different thread...

Even with a stock bike a custom dyno tune with a PC3/5 is the way to go. The maps for DJ are rather generic and usually richen the entire map and hide issues. You can get much better results with a map made just your bike but wait until you get the exhaust and filter on.

The PC5 is outstanding so find a tuner who fully understand the capability of the system. They can create a map for EACH gear and you have the ability to select between two maps; track vs. touring for example. Also each cylinder and be trimmed to get a very smooth running motor.

I prefer the Factory Pro dynos over the DJ dynos, eddy current vs. inertia, as with the FPs you can hold the bike at a given rpm/throttle position and work on a specific area of the power band. Most DJs use a simple sweep test instead. FP also uses a 4 Gas EGA instead of working towards the \"magic\" air-fuel ratio. The 4 Gas helps you find the correct AFR as all rmps and throttle positions to get complete combustion = more power, better throttle response and usually better mileage.

I had my FZ6 custom tuned and the difference was significant. I'm in the process of having this done on my 1125R and so far the progress is very good.

Good luck and enjoy! :D
That is some great advice. So where do I get the Factory Pro guys to do it? Do you know of any in the southeast?

Here's the Factory Pro link" Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

The web site stinks. Click on the link in the upper left hand corner titled, "Factory Pro Dyno Tuning Centers". (The URL doesn't update when you click on the link)

The site is a little one sided and they "hate" DJ, but the majority of the top AMA teams tune with FP. Good reading never the less. I know I've learn a lot after 25 years of riding and racing.

If you don't see a place near you give them a call and see if there is one that isn't on the list. I saw a places in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina.

Here's the guys I use: AF1 Racing / Apriliaforum.com : Aprilia Performance Parts and Accessories

Their tuner/owner is considered one of the best in the business.

Here's the dyno result s from my FZ6, the only change was an Akrapovic exhaust with DB Killers out, Power Commander and the tune. The mid range and throttle response really improved. Note the jumps in mid range hp and torque. The tuner also noted this was the cleanest running bike he'd ever tuned. The hydrocarbon readings were about 2 to 3 parts per million. Yamaha uses excellent cats.

The lower plot is 4 Gas reading for emissions, note that fuel was removed for the most part to make a cleaner and more powerful motor.

View attachment 465

Last edited:
Here's the Factory Pro link\" Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

The web site stinks. Click on the link in the upper left hand corner titled, \"Factory Pro Dyno Tuning Centers\". (The URL doesn't update when you click on the link)

The site is a little one sided and they \"hate\" DJ, but the majority of the top AMA teams tune with FP. Good reading never the less. I know I've learn a lot after 25 years of riding and racing.

If you don't see a place near you give them a call and see if there is one that isn't on the list. I saw a places in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina.

Here's the guys I use: AF1 Racing / Apriliaforum.com : Aprilia Performance Parts and Accessories

Their tuner/owner is considered one of the best in the business.
Thanks a million man. awesome reply hellgate. I found one less than an hour from my house that does the fp tuning. I only have one question, what is an average price to do this, I really don't see myself doing more performance mods than the exhaust, PCIII, and an aftermarket air filter. Or are you laughing at me, and saying to yourself, "you have much to learn young grasshopper" For I am a no pro and don't realize how much can be done to an 2008 1000cc motor, and need to wait until I am sure that I'm sure.

Here's the dyno result s from my FZ6, the only change was an Akrapovic exhaust with DB Killers out, Power Commander and the tune. The mid range and throttle response really improved. Note the jumps in mid range hp and torque. The tuner also noted this was the cleanest running bike he'd ever tuned. The hydrocarbon readings were about .01%. Yamaha uses excellent cats.

The lower plot is 4 Gas reading for emissions, note that fuel was removed for the most part to make a cleaner and more powerful motor.

View attachment 465
wow, that's pretty impressive man, thank you so much for all the help and expertise. It would have taken months to learn what you've told me, or longer. : )

Thanks a million man. awesome reply hellgate. I found one less than an hour from my house that does the fp tuning. I only have one question, what is an average price to do this, I really don't see myself doing more performance mods than the exhaust, PCIII, and an aftermarket air filter. Or are you laughing at me, and saying to yourself, \\"you have much to learn young grasshopper\\" For I am a no pro and don't realize how much can be done to an 2008 1000cc motor, and need to wait until I am sure that I'm sure.

My tune was $380ish. That included 5 gallons of fuel at $4.00 a pop last summer. $100 an hour seems to be the norm. He kept my bike for about 4 days so he would do three cold starts and to make sure everything was perfect. He also test rode the bike for about 75 miles, stop and go, twisties, highway cruising to get it dialed. He wanted to ensure what the dyno told him held up in the real world. He also warrentied his work.

With your bike I can only imagine the tuning that can be done and the power you could get. That motor is amazing. :D

You are welcome and be sure to post the results.

On a side note DJ doesn't make a PC3 for my Buell so we are modifying a PC3 from an Aprilia RSV1000. Reason being both motors are made by Rotax so a Vee Twin is a Vee Twin. We ran into a couple of bumps along the way but hopefully in two weeks we'll have the results. Waiting on parts, namely a new exhaust so the probe will fit in deep enough to get an accurate 4 Gas reading. We think we'll go from 121 hp up to about 140 to 145. (real HP, but you read that already) I can hardly wait!

Last edited:
That sounds awesome man. I wish you the best luck with the aprilia PC3. I'm sure you will find a way. I have no doubts

I'll be sure to post the results, pending I am ready to get on that next level.

I should probably get myself some leather pant's with sliders to match my jacket first, before I kill myself by adding even more power to an already powerful motor. hehe. I love riding the wicked curves in the north ga and need to stop wearing denim........soon.

Just youtube Blood Mountain GA. there are some good videos that people have posted. Awesome place to ride.!!

I would love to see some FZ1's out there with me.

WOW! What a road, simply amazing. I wish we had roads like that in Texas.

How many miles is it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3gxgYeLoQ]YouTube - R6 Blood Mountain ( us 129 )[/ame]

WOW! What a road, simply amazing. I wish we had roads like that in Texas.

How many miles is it?

YouTube - R6 Blood Mountain ( us 129 )
It goes all the way north to Dragon Tails in TN, which is a Famous riding spot which includes over 300 turns in only 11 miles. I hear it's wikid, but have yet to take the trip.

The section I ride is 15 or 20 miles and has two lanes so you don't have to worry about getting stuck behind an RV or slow driver. It's even more nuts for about three miles which is pure s-turn chicane like ups and downs.........and this is what people drive down from maryland, NC,PA, WV, AL,FL and other surrounding states. I've met a lot of really cool riders every weekend from different states. There is also another two highways that are almost as good that are in the same exact area. Highway 60 South, and HWY 180. Both of which are amazing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UOGj4O2zGY]YouTube - 180 Run[/ame]

here is one from hwy 180, which I rode for the first time two weeks ago. Notice all the riders he passes going the opposite way......this rode is actually connected to hwy 129, which is the one you posted earlier Hellgate.

Please tell me what you all think of it. Let me know if any of you are interested in coming to north GA. I need some Fz1's to ride with.

Last but not least is 60 south which is the rode I take to get to the other two highways I mentioned above.

Hope you like it[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVa2F1Qf_U]YouTube - Playing on 60[/ame]

Hey Dr. Clark, is that you in the videos? Beautiful roads for sure....and long too. Nice vids.
Nah, it's not me, but I hope to one day mount a camera on my FZ1 and post some of the vids to the forum. Once I get a little bit better of a rider.

I fortunately get to ride these roads every weekend. I am very lucky, and don't think I don't know it. I have only been riding since May 1st, so I'm still a newbie by a longshot, but because these roads are basically in my back yard, I have been progressing at a very rapid rate.

I'm glad you like the roads. I'd love to see more FZ1 riders out there. I don't see many at all. A lot of GSXR's, R1's, R6's,CBR's, Ducati's, Kawi's, etc. I even see a lot of Fizzers, but not many Fazers.

Come down this way for a long weekend. It's beautiful. We'll go riding!!

Nice vids but I couldn't get the 60 section to play. Those look like some of the best roads in the country. I wasn't aware Blood Mtn was in the Deals Gap area.

We've got a few in the Austin area around the lakes but they are a rather short, 3 to 9 miles, and way too many cars pulling boats on the weekends.

Some day I've like to ride out there.

Over on the FZ6 site they've done an FZ6 Forums.com trip to Deals the last two years in a row. Excellent turn out.

We did an FZ6 Fourm weekend in Leakey TX last Fall and have a great turnout too. It's a 103 mile loop that is a blast. The big ride there is the Three Sisters or Twisted Sisters, depending on what you want call it. Pretty close to Austin, about 125 miles away.

Back