Got a new phone

Well... back in March, I got a new phone... the Verizon(HTC) SMT5800 Smart Phone (Really Dumb Phone). From day 1, the phone was a pain. It ran on the Windows operating system, and you could definitely tell. It would crash for no reason, if you sent a text message and shut the phone, it would lock up. Every once in a while, it would have problems connecting to the earpiece and microphone and the phone would make you sound like a robot. Because it ran on Windows, start-up time was abuot a minute and a half. I actually even got the "blue screen of death" on the phone a few times. The Browser was a joke... couldn't navigate the forum, couldn't access any of the text boxes.. E-Mail wouldn't send. Ever. I could receive my e-mails, but couldn't respond to any..Well, last week, the $h!t hit the fan.... Windows crashed on the phone, and it crashed hard.... It basically ate the operating system and firmware off of the phone. Every time I tried to make a call, it would have a "error" and wouldn't connect the call.

So... I finally had enough of that POS and since I couldn't make calls anymore... I went down to the Verizon store. Luckily, the guy who talked me into the SMT5800 was working. I tossed the phone at him, and told him to get it to work. He played around with it for a while, and couldn't get it to do anything. So, he made a few calls, and since the phone was still under its one year warranty, he decided to swap it out for me.

So, now, I have a Blackberry Pearl. (Kind of a chick phone.... but... it got great reviews) First off, I set it up for my e-mail which consisted of inputting my e-mail addresses and passwords... The phone did the rest. It connected to the servers and set everything up itself. Now, I can send and receive with no problems. Next, it was time to switch over all of my contacts since the guy at the Verizon store couldn't get the old phone to connect to the new phone. I sync'ed the old phone to Outlook, and then the Blackberry to Outlook. Contacts switched over with no problems, and organization in the Blackberry is much better than on the SMT. At my apartment (out in the sticks) with the SMT, I would get 1-2 bars of service, while the soon to be wife would get 3-4 bars on her phone. Now, I get 4 bars of service all of the time on the Blackberry. Just using the phone is amazing compared to that old POS I had... sound is better, reception is better, speakerphone is better, BlueTooth pairing is outstanding. On the SMT, if I was running my BlueTooth headset, I'd have to keep the phone in plain view, within about 3 feet of the phone. With the Blackberry, I can put the headset on, and walk around the apartment while I leave the phone on the kitchen counter. The old phone for some reason couldn't accept PIX messages.... this one, of course has no problem.

There are a few things I'd still like to figure out.... I have Geo-Tagging turned on on the camera, but locations are not saved on the pictures as far as I can tell... I upload pictures straight to my Zannel account, which if the location is turned on, the pictures should be placed on a map... but... that doesn't happen... unless I'm doing something wrong.

All in all.... I'll never get another phone that runs on Windows. Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid Windows Vista user at home.... I use AutoCAD and Rhino3d on a regular basis, so there's really no other option... But... in that case, I have a computer meant to handle the requirements of AutoCAD and Rhino, so it's not a problem. I think Windows on a phone is just too much for the rather weak computing capabilities of a phone. I'd like to give a phone running Android a shot, but Verizon doesn't have anything like that yet. I'm generally disappointed in the phone offerings from Verizon, but their service can't be beat around here....

. . Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid Windows Vista user at home.....

Me, I'm done with Vista as of this Friday. I'm fed up with the compatibility issues with my Video, Audio, and some other older hook-ups I have. I can't even edit my infamous "speeding ticket video" on my Nero. I am not going to go out and buy a newer ATI card nor a newer audio card just to rid myself of these issues. I'd rather just go back to XP where I was happy and everything worked. I'm glad though that your happy with your new phone.

Me, I'm done with Vista as of this Friday. I'm fed up with the compatibility issues with my Video, Audio, and some other older hook-ups I have. I can't even edit my infamous \"speeding ticket video\" on my Nero. I am not going to go out and buy a newer ATI card nor a newer audio card just to rid myself of these issues. I'd rather just go back to XP where I was happy and everything worked. I'm glad though that your happy with your new phone.

I hear you about Vista. MS made Vista sound good in principle, but not in execution. I still use XP at home and at work we never even considered upgrading to Vista. Too many compatability issues...

Oh and va_rider watch out for the BlackBerry OS. Java will do some funky things too sometimes, but I agree that its better than the Windows Mobile OS.

I really haven't had any problems with Vista... it works with all of my software and hardware... my one complaint is that just running Vista takes about 1GB off the top of the RAM.

Billy... you should get your hands on a copy of Powerlink CyberDirector for editing your movies... it's BY FAR the best video editing software I've come across.

I really haven't had any problems with Vista... it works with all of my software and hardware... my one complaint is that just running Vista takes about 1GB off the top of the RAM.

Billy... you should get your hands on a copy of Powerlink CyberDirector for editing your movies... it's BY FAR the best video editing software I've come across.

Thanks Aaron, will check it out. Vista is great if your buying a new machine. My problem was that I upgraded my 8 year old machine to Vista. Thats when problems occur. I don't want to change my entire board and cards that I have just to accomodate Vista. I only switched because I went to full memory capacity and figured "what the heck". I had a "Black Edition" that a friend got me and installed it, not realizing the issues ahead. So its back to my tried and true version of XP until I decide to buy a new PC.

Aaron... open a browser on the Crackberry and go to Google Mobile and grab their stuff. :D

As for Vista... epic failure! Everyone remember the fiasco known as Windows ME? Nothing more than a public beta program that MS charged people to participate in. JUNK! Well, us dedicated IT guys feel the same way about Vista, especially after having Windows 7 installed now. Vista was a beta to work out the bugs for a newer OS.

Windows 7 will install on lesser hardware and run. It is finally smart enough to scale the resource use to fit the availability. We have the release at work under our Enterprise agreement and I am running the released copy. All the complaints I had about Vista are gone at this point. I've not had a lot of time with it yet so I'm sure I'll uncover the "built-in features" in time. I'm not a big MS fan, but this release is quite stable out of the gate. I am running the true x64 on an AMD Turion laptop with 4 GB of ram. For grins, I installed the 32 bit on an older HP laptop with 1 GB of RAM and it runs well. Of course, with 1 GB or ram, I wouldn't plan on photo or video editing though. ;)

For those stuck in Windows world, I'm giving this release an 8 where Vista was a 3.

so... who else has a Blackberry? any applications I'm missing out on that are must haves?

Well my BlackBerry is for work so I don't install a lot of personal stuff on it. I am pretty sure you already have the BB maps and some games on there. Plus it sounds like you already linked your other email accounts. You can also download the Facebook app if you're into that sort of thing. As for service I agree Verizon is better than AT&T...well at least around here anyway.

And for the past two days, my avenue to the net out here in BFE. Outside of a few apps to be able to process ms programs (word/excel/ppt), has exceeded every expectation I ever had.

I thought that would be the case with my last phone... but internet on that thing was useless.... it was slow... hard to navigate... just overall a kick in the junk.... I use the iPod Touch around areas where there's good WiFi... but now I have a better option in areas where internet is hard to find... when I go back to VA, my folks don't have internet, and the only internet that's available is Dial-Up.... so... the Blackberry should fit the need there rather well..... till the iPhone comes to Verizon... but then, I'm sure Verizon will find some way to screw it up.

Everyone in Tuba City, AZ. has verizon on the construction site and they have to stand in that special place and hope they can get a signal. I started out using verizon, and had been a loyal customer for seven years. However, the jump to AT&T was a good one!

Just wish you could tether the phone to use it's modem for your pc. Apparantely the European market has the ability to do so.

Last edited:
Yes, my BB is work and T-Mobile. Work lets me use it for personal all I want and we have unlimited everything on it.

It tethers with USB and bluetooth great! Even got it to work in Windows 7 as a modem.

Back