Good Tire Comparison

Thanks for posting up the link to this article. I read this the other day and forgot to bookmark it.

For my track bike I'm going with the Q2s; they're the best overall value for a high performance tire. A pair is about $185 to $195, shipped to the door.

After reading through that article, I too have decided that the Q2 set would be a clear choice for price/performance. What the article cannot provide is the amount of wear/longevity of the tires as well as the average MPG on a set. No one manufacturer will satisfy the the expected needs of any individual rider. We all really need two sets of wheels with different tires mounted. That would be the best possible solution. :D

I had been set on the PR2 set for the bike based on prior research but I was surprised that these were not sent for this test! That means the tire is lacking, in the eyes of Michelin, in one of the criteria the test was designed to cover. And since the test covered the three major criteria I would like to see, well, I think the Q2's are in and the PR2's are out.

Thanks Tony!

Eric, the PR2 is more of a sport/touring tire, whereas the Power 2CT is more of a sport tire, and the Q2 is a semi-race tire. It's not that one is better or worse, but they are targeted for different uses.

For my FZ1 I'll probably go with PR2s next time for the longer mileage vs. the 2CT that I currently have. That said the 2CT is the best tire I've ever ridden, I love them. And the Q2s will be on the track bike only.

Eric as Pete pointed out this test was more about sport and super sport tires than sport touring ones. That is the reason you didn't see the PR 2CT on there. For general sport touring and being aggressive every now and then the PR 2CT can't be beat when it comes to mileage and grip. I'll be getting a set for my bike next year as my tires will be 5 years old and I'm sure they have hardened enough due to the ozone. I still have the original Pilot Road's on there.

Back