Gen 2: Front tyre deformities

Anyone ever noticed that the right side of your front tyre tends to cup after a few thousand miles?

Happened to me on five sets of tyres already
2 sets of Pilot Power 2CTs
Bridgestone BT-016s
Pilot Road 2

and now my Pilot Road 3 is starting to show some signs of added wear on the right side of the front tyre. Not as bad as the rest, but still...

This is on the stock forks. Anyone think that the separate compression/rebound damping has to do with it?

Anyone ever noticed that the right side of your front tyre tends to cup after a few thousand miles?

Bridgestone BT-016s
Pilot Road 2

and now my Pilot Road 3 is starting to show some signs of added wear on the right side of the front tyre. Not as bad as the rest, but still...

This is on the stock forks. Anyone think that the separate compression/rebound damping has to do with it?

I had the same situation with my Vulcan Meanstreak, when braking with the front had vibrations in the direction I never could remove all doubt, if an adjustment problem with the forks, but I think that there is the issue ..

I've tried rebalancing the forks. Took it to the mechanics to change it to heavier fork oils and got it balanced out, so to say. Nothing much changed.

Any other ideas on what could be happening? Anyone else with the same probs?

You can try a few things. Check the steering head bearings are tightened to spec and moving freely without rough spots. ( doubt that is the problem )
Support the front of the bike and loosen all the triple clamp bolts/pinch bolts that hold the forks and loosen the front axle. The re-tighten to factory torque specs.
Sometimes a twisted binding front end can result in uneven tire wear.

Check and be sure brakes are not dragging or misaligned in any way. Have uneven pad or rotor wear ???

Front wheels bearings are OK ?? Front wheel and axle are installed correctly ?
Any spacers are present and installed correctly. ( I have not had my front wheel off yet so I'm not sure if there are spacers )

Your not over or under tightening the front axle ? Too much torque could twist things up and loose is never good.

I'm just throwing a few ideas at you here. I would start with loosening all the fork pinch bolts/axle and re tightening YOU NEED TO SUPPORT THE FRONT OF THE BIKE OR WHEN YOU DO THAT or the forks will slide right up thru the triple clamps.

Do you turn in later on right handers or just turn faster to the right?

Good point ! Many people favor one side when it comes to turning. Often right turns in country's where you drive on the right side of the road. If you run wide in a left turn you run off the road. Running wide in a right turn you cross into the other lane. Common mental block , being less comfortable turning left.

Good point ! Many people favor one side when it comes to turning. Often right turns in country's where you drive on the right side of the road. If you run wide in a left turn you run off the road. Running wide in a right turn you cross into the other lane. Common mental block , being less comfortable turning left.

Your logic is correct, but I think you meant being less comfortable turning right. I know that's the case for me precisely because of those reasons. For me left turns are very easy, but sometimes right turns take more effort and concentration...

Bridgestone BT-016s
Pilot Road 2

By the fact that you spelled "tyre", gives me the conclusion that you are riding in England. Since you would be on the left side of the road, and roads are usually crowned for drainage, you would actually be riding just to the right of the centre of the tread on your tyre.

If you rode in America, then you'd notice that you the tread would wear a bit faster just to the left of center of the tire due to the roads here being ridden/driven on the (correct) right side of the road. :wilynily:

I have the same problem and could not solve it yet, tried everything realigning and adjusting the front, 3 shops checked it and I know myself how to check these things. Nothing could explain it. The last option I see is to measure the frame, so the bike does not show any hints of a crash or tip over. If you find an answer to the problem let me please know. Of course I will post any solution which I find.

Ah I forgot, the suspension shop I brought the bike to, said it could be the separated compression rebound legs. However, than it should occur more frequently I guess. He told me that it is a bit unusual for relatively light bikes like the Fz1.

By the fact that you spelled "tyre", gives me the conclusion that you are riding in England. Since you would be on the left side of the road, and roads are usually crowned for drainage, you would actually be riding just to the right of the centre of the tread on your tyre.

If you rode in America, then you'd notice that you the tread would wear a bit faster just to the left of center of the tire due to the roads here being ridden/driven on the (correct) right side of the road. :wilynily:
Also if you ride on the left side of the road, right hand bends are longer, wearing the tyre out earlier,softer the tyre the more you will notice it,riding style has alot to do with it also,when I first learn`t to ride this was happening to a greater degree,now after some rider training, etc and changing my riding style the front tyre wears is much more even

???? Who knows why they cup? I don't.But every street bike i've ever owned has cupped the frt tire!!! So im thinkin its something im doing??? Not the bike!

Not England, but a Commonwealth country. And yes, we do drive on the left side of the road. You may have a good point there. The roads do have a bit of camber for drainage. I've thought of that myself.

The strange thing is that my previous 04 'R1 and 2002 FZS600 didn't suffer from this issue.

On the plus side, the wear on the PR3's isn't as pronounced as that on the BT016s and Pilot Power 2s. It's showing very little flattening out on the ride side. Not that noticeable when put up against the previous 2 sport tyres.

Back