Gen. 1 - Gen. 2 difference?

Mabe its just me, but the motor in the Gen. 2 seems to be canted at more of a forward angle, that is, the cylinder seems to be sloping more forward than the earlier Gen. 1's. Makes me think of the very early Nortons with the motor set vertical, and then the later models sloped as they decided the oiling on the top end was better in this configuration. I just cant help but think the same was done to the FZ.... (added at later date)Well in the pictures it's apparent....

Last edited:
Well the Gen II engine cylinders are slanted at a 40 degree angle. Not sure what the Gen I is, but probably closer to 35 degrees. This forward slant is usually done to put more weight over the front tire and I don't think it has anything to do with oiling on a modern engine.

This was done more for the center of gravity (CG) based on the change in ergos between the two bikes. A supersport should have a well balanced CG in relation to the rider's torso and head. It also adjusts the gyro effect the rotation of the engine produces that keeps the bike in a perfect upright and forward motion.

With the modern I4, the issues of oil starvation are all but gone. The oil pump and design of the oil well insure the bike will be well lubricated even in a long fast wheelie. :D

Yamaha virtually created a new model with Gen II. From AMA review in 2006:
The most obvious change in the FZ1's shift toward the sporty side (moving closer in concept to the R1 and further in concept from the FJR1300 sport-tourer) is its new aluminum frame, which weighs 19.8 pounds less than the 2005's steel unit yet is far more rigid. The aluminum swingarm is longer and the engine moves forward. The final result is 51 percent of the bike's weight on the front tire's contact patch, compared to 48.9 percent for the previous model.

At the same time, Yamaha shifted the rider's position slightly. The handlebar is an inch lower, the rider sits 2 inches further forward, and the footpegs move an inch back and 0.6 inches up.

The stiffer chassis bolts to an inverted fork with an uncommon damping adjustment system that's been used in the racing world. One fork leg controls the rebound damping and the other controls compression damping. Yamaha says if it works on Valentino Rossi's M1 MotoGP bike, it'll work on your FZ1, too, and who am I to argue? It does have the benefit of keeping adjustments simple.

The other change Yamaha made to inject some more sport into the FZ1 is the new engine, taken straight from the YZF-R1 sportbike with only a few modifications. Changes to the R1 engine were limited mostly to different cam profiles and valve timing to increase low- and mid-range power, and a heavier crankshaft.

Full article at: http://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/reviews/2006/FZ1/FZ1.asp?media=print

Last edited:
Back