Gas leak

I have a 2001 FZ1 and the carbs seem to be leaking but I have no idea from where. The bottom of all of the carbs are wet with gas and it drips on the motor and runs down the side and onto the floor.

Any ideas?

I have a 2001 FZ1 and the carbs seem to be leaking but I have no idea from where. The bottom of all of the carbs are wet with gas and it drips on the motor and runs down the side and onto the floor.

Any ideas?

It's probably one of your float are stuck. There are times when you can tap on the bottom of the carbs with the end of a screwdriver and dislodge them but there's no guarantee that it won't happen again. You may just have to pull them and clean them manually. Also, if you do tap on them and dislodge the stuck float or floats, add a dose of Seafoam to your gas for two consectutive tanks and see if it clears up whatever is causing them to stick. Was the bike sitting for any extended period of time? If so, it may have gummed up the floats.

It's probably one of your float are stuck. There are times when you can tap on the bottom of the carbs with the end of a screwdriver and dislodge them but there's no guarantee that it won't happen again. You may just have to pull them and clean them manually. Also, if you do tap on them and dislodge the stuck float or floats, add a dose of Seafoam to your gas for two consectutive tanks and see if it clears up whatever is causing them to stick. Was the bike sitting for any extended period of time? If so, it may have gummed up the floats.

It actually appears that all of the carbs are leaking from around the bowl seal. It's strange that all 4 would be doing this but I'll take a look again tonight. I keep wiping the carbs clean and trying to trace the fuel.

It actually appears that all of the carbs are leaking from around the bowl seal. It's strange that all 4 would be doing this but I'll take a look again tonight. I keep wiping the carbs clean and trying to trace the fuel.

Did the bike sit around for a while? Could be that the rubber gaskets that seal the bowls to the main carb bodies are bad. Another possible issue is loose drain bolts on the bowls themselves.

Don't let that illusion fool you. Many times, the leak is higher up or coming from just one place and it seeps to the areas of least resistance, making it appear that the leak is coming from somewhere that it isn't.

Did you recently get the bike, or have you had it for a while?

Don't let that illusion fool you. Many times, the leak is higher up or coming from just one place and it seeps to the areas of least resistance, making it appear that the leak is coming from somewhere that it isn't.

Did you recently get the bike, or have you had it for a while?

I got the bike about 2 months ago and it's been doing it since I've gotten it. I'm going to take a better look this weekend again.

Did the bike sit around for a while? Could be that the rubber gaskets that seal the bowls to the main carb bodies are bad. Another possible issue is loose drain bolts on the bowls themselves.

Well the bike is 10 years old and has less than 8000 miles on it so it probably did sit around a lot.

It's for sure not the drain bolts because the gas is coming from higher than that point.

Back