Garage tool you cannot do without...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I thought about a table lift... but the garage just isn't big enough. Given the lack of space I have and still having to cram in two bikes, a scooter, a car, a truck and all my tools, I opted for a different lift.

It looks scary but it is rock solid. It is a 1300 lb hoist and it is very securely held to two rafters in the garage with a heavy 1 1/2" galvanized pipe and the two rafters are sandwiched with 4" x 4" x 1/4" aluminum angle and 1/2" hardened bolts. The pipe is secured to the angle with 4 heavy U bolts. I think the weakest point is out of my control and that is the bracket they provide to bolt to the hoist and over the pipe.

I tested rafter sag on the first lift with the bike only off the ground enough so that the wheels didn't touch. I measured from floor to rafter with a story board, marked it, then lifted, marked again, then put the bike back down and marked a third time.

The sag after lift was 3/16ths of an inch and it returned 1/8th inch. Second series of measurements for 1/8th" down and back to resting. THEN, I lifted her V Star which weighs a lot more than the FZ6... Same 1/8th inch sag and return after dropoff. Good to go!

The FZ1 has meat to hook on to, but her new FZ6r? I have trouble figuring out where to secure the tow rope. Oh, and the rope is rated to tow full sized vehicles out of stuck situations. When it is secured to the bike, there is NO WAY it can come undone. Either the hoist or the rafters would have to let go.

Here, you see the FZ6 that was traded in for the FZ1 but you get the picture. :D

460d1245294188-garage-tool-you-cannot-do-without-hoist.jpg

View attachment 460

I don't know.....might have to call the inspector on ya....:poke:

Guess you could throw a stud under those rafters for additional support if you were too worried about 3/16" sag....

Are there any toys that you do not have----beginning to get jealous here in the SW

Last edited:
This is a low budget garage. ;) But safe none-the-less!

I'm working on getting a lot more stuff in there and having regular mod/maint days for members in the area who want to use it, have me do it, or learn and get to do their own. It will be interesting to see how far I can push it with the city/zoning before my "hobby" becomes a business in their minds. :eek: :D

I've got a Buy-in thread at the sister site for the garage... Most of the riders I know are all from the FZ6 forum of course, after owning two of them myself and with the wife now on the R.

I think I need another bay added to the garage. ;)

General Contractor -- and I will travel!!! (got the SW pretty much locked up and moving east to OK and TX.)

but if you need any help, I might be able to offer a bit of advice...

Guess I'll have to go to work on my own shop when I get through finding land to build and give you all a run for your money!!

Adam

Guess I'll have to go to work on my own shop when I get through finding land to build and give you all a run for your money!!

Adam

Attach a small 2 bedroom along side the shop and I am there. I am sure you wouldn't mind a little rent money every first of the month. "Little" being the key word there! This way you can supplement your income and I can ride most of the year. Killing two birds with one stone! P.S. My rent is always paid on time without fail.:D

General Contractor -- and I will travel!!! (got the SW pretty much locked up and moving east to OK and TX.)

but if you need any help, I might be able to offer a bit of advice...

Adam

I'm looking to add on to the side of the garage. It is built as a cape with the loft for storage. It sits on a 4' frost wall with footers for the harsh winters.

What I'm thinking is to add on and treat it like my deck. Sink four sonotubes, build a carrying beam and then deck over that, cantilevered to create a 10' wide addition theentire 24' length. I can put an 8' door on the end and move the window from the side of the garage out to the exterior wall. That opening would become a door into the new space. The roof would be a 5/12 pitch attached to the existing 10/12 pitch.
The only issue I see is it would be higher than the existing floor and driveway so I'd have to have a ramp up to it. I'd use this space for winterizing the bikes, storing the lawn, garden and deck stuff for the winter. This frees up a ton of space in the rest of the garage.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I can tell you that I have limited space on that end of the building. There is about 10 feet of space then a 7' drop off to an area I cannot develop in. I'd do the beam and sonotubes at about 7' away from the building and cantilever the deck (floor) out to 10'.

This would make the garage 34x24 when finished. Plus I have a 14'x24' loft above that we use for storage.

Open for suggestions!

If you are attaching to an existing slab -- you are probably going to have to double your sonotubes b/c you won't have a solid anchor point to build off of the existing structure. Even if you attach a board to the foundation wall, you should still support it so that you don't create a potential weak spot in your design)

====garage====
x----x----x----x

x----x----x----x
-cantilevered 3'-

because the nature of the weight -- I use a minimum of 12" TrussJoists spaced 16" O.C. Hopefully the 5/12 pitch is a shed type roof and not a gable roof b/c you will create a pocket to trap the snow, or have one heck of an ugly cricket (sheds water) that would be unsightly. don't know the snow loads for the area, but could probably be safe with 2x8, stick framed roof spaced 16 o.c. and 1/2 decking and shingles to match.

You can control your finish height by setting the sonotubes to grade to allow for the beam and the thickness of the joist with the decking on top to match the existing concrete floor height. Then just worry about extending the drive to the entrance as opposed to trying to level out the entire area---doable, but for alot more money.

It is a stab, but just going off of what i saw in the other thread with the trailer and the garage in the distance. If you are serious, shoot some pics of the steep side and I can try to give you a better idea.

Adam

Attach a small 2 bedroom along side the shop and I am there. I am sure you wouldn't mind a little rent money every first of the month. \\"Little\\" being the key word there! This way you can supplement your income and I can ride most of the year. Killing two birds with one stone! P.S. My rent is always paid on time without fail.:D

Guess it depends if we stay in NM -- chances for year round riding are less if we end up moving to Oklahoma (and also less interesting as far as the natural surroundings)

I just the economy was in a better place to make the decision on where to go a tad bit easier.....but guess it wouldn't be any fun if the decisions were easy.

if we end up staying....you pay a full year in advance?? :poke: (gotta have my mod $$$)

Adam

It is a stab, but just going off of what i saw in the other thread with the trailer and the garage in the distance. If you are serious, shoot some pics of the steep side and I can try to give you a better idea.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I like your idea about the extra tubes to support the weight and completely understand your depiction of how it is laid out.

I will get some shots of the area as well as create my little drawing showing a top view. I'll get some measurements as well.

The 5/12 would be a shed style so it would end about half way up the existing slope on the side of the garage. It would be a transition from the 10/12 to a 5/12 pitch from front to back.

/\
/ \
/ \ _ <--here
/ \
/ \ | <-- to here
| | |
| | |
|__________|_______|

:D Artist rendition in ANSI.... LOL! Wow! It deletes the spaces on me? wtf? Try quoting this and see if it puts them back... does in Edit mode...

Last edited:
Where are your 3 doors for the garage...:disapprove:

What kind of computer guru are you that you can bend the characters to your will....:poke:

Pretty much how I had envisioned. And your fall of is normal terra firma for building out here in the land of Mayana. At least in the area where I did most of my building in Ruidoso, NM.

Probably have to build some cages (rebar supports) to help hold your piers together and support the weight.

so when do I start?? (j/k)

Adam

Ignoring the Saturday dump run items, here is the area I want to expand into. To the right of the picture is the drop off that levels out about 7' down. As stated the foundation is 4' with a footer. the slab was poured after the foundation.

attachment.php

View attachment 464

Back