FZ1S 1st Ride - What to expect.

planb

I've been riding for 6 years, mostly my KLR650 (re bored to 705, 47bhp) , but I have also spent some time on a GSX650f (the non LAMs one I think they are about 85hp).

I'm intending to test ride a 2012 FZ1S this week. Does anyone have any tips for my first time on a liter bike ? (apart from 'take it easy' :cool:)

Just under 3 weeks ago I went from a Suzuki GS500 to my 2012 FZ1. I tested a few 750 to 800 cc bikes before I even thought about an FZ1 but I was still taken aback by the massive power difference.

The 1 is nice and torque-y and smooth, especially compared to the mostly twin-cylinder bikes that I'd been trying. As you say, take it easy. The first few times when you pin the throttle prepare to hang on. I now find it best to hunker down with my backside bracing me against the pillion seat which leaves your arms and wrists free to control the bike properly.

If you've been riding for 6 years then you should be fine.

They are a pussy cat under 7 K and the throttle response is muted compared to a full on litre bike.

Compared to what you have been riding, it will feel like a rocket ship but as long as you use your head and control your right wrist, you will be fine.

Last edited:
Avoid trying to test the boundaries the first 1k miles. If you wind it up past 7k suddenly, you will either end up on your back or on a rocket. Make sure you recognize proper following and stopping distances.

As banzai said, make sure you've got your body position set before you really crack it open. The first time I did it, I slammed it open after holding steady at about 8k RPM. I was sitting near bolt-upright. I had all my weight on my butt (as opposed to on the pegs), and I rocketed back and bounced up onto the pillion. My feet completely left the pegs. I think the only thing that kept me from flying off was the suction from my butthole puckering.

Still, it's very manageable power if you're ready for it. Just lower your chest, put your weight on your feet, and you'll be fine. That first time will be a rush for sure, though.

I did my FZ1S test ride today, thanks for all your advice it was a big help. So how did it go ?

I went out for about 45 mins, some city, some highway.

The engine is super sweet, I loved it. The roll on acceleration on the highway had me grinning like a maniac, and I never even got past 6K.

In town it had good manners, I can see commuting on it would be fine. The steering was fine for me, I felt confident tipping it into corners.

The feel on the gears is way different to my KLR. The FZ1S needs more definite pressure to select each gear than I'm use to and has a more solid 'clunk' sound when a gear was selected. That would just be something for me to get use to.

The size of the bike fit me well (I'm 5"9' & 95kg) I didn't feel crunched up, but I was able to tuck in to the tank and under the screen when required.

Seating position put some strain on my wrists for the first 5 minutes, but after I experimented with different seating positions I worked out one that suited me fine and there was no more wrist strain.

I didn't find the seat comfortable, but that's so easy to change and for me its a minor issue.

Dropping the throttle gave me an unexpected experience, it seems to engine brake the bike and propel me forward much more than I was expecting. I've ridden 2 other EFI bikes and it was not as noticeable as it was on the FZ1S. Something I would have to learn to manage on a powerful bike.

Overall the FZ1S engine more than met my expectations and now anything less will not do. The ergonomics worked well for me to.

Result: FZ1S is still on the top of my shortlist.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna post this here as a friendly reminder about what happens when you don't control your right wrist. This was my first morning with my 2009 Fz1. I did a "hold my GoPro and watch this" with my buddy. That's me in front of the camera acting like an idiot.

Motorcycle Crash: How to Ride Like a Squid - YouTube

Enjoy and ride safe.

You picked a good place to crash, no trees, fences, guard rails and plenty of softish sand.

Dustin's eplanation seems to be historically accurate but I sorta like this meaning for SQUID:
Stupid
Quick
Underdressed
Imminently
Dead

Just under 3 weeks ago I went from a Suzuki GS500 to my 2012 FZ1. I tested a few 750 to 800 cc bikes before I even thought about an FZ1 but I was still taken aback by the massive power difference.

The 1 is nice and torque-y and smooth, especially compared to the mostly twin-cylinder bikes that I'd been trying. As you say, take it easy. The first few times when you pin the throttle prepare to hang on. I now find it best to hunker down with my backside bracing me against the pillion seat which leaves your arms and wrists free to control the bike properly.

Get back on your own forum Banzai :hug::welcome:

Humour an Aussie. Where does the term "Squid" come from? Got an inkling it's a military term but not sure.

You can pick this up at amazon.
16520d1386330102-fz1s-1st-ride-what-expect-60289d1128793311-squid-definition-squidz_dummies.jpg

Are you a squid? Take the test.....
http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm

Last edited:
I'm just gonna post this here as a friendly reminder about what happens when you don't control your right wrist. This was my first morning with my 2009 Fz1. I did a "hold my GoPro and watch this" with my buddy. That's me in front of the camera acting like an idiot.

Motorcycle Crash: How to Ride Like a Squid - YouTube

Enjoy and ride safe.

Funny! Not that you crashed, but that I've came across this video while doing random youtube crash video searching, and I never knew it was you!

:p
When will we see you again at coffee? With you, me and Pat we could outnumber the Blackbirds.

When they change the meet night away from my Swim Club night (or maybe over Christmas).

hmmm - 3 FZs - I think the Blackbird Coalition is up to 17...

Sorry for the :hi jack:

Back