FZ1 Wont Start/Run in Gear

I've been doing some work on my '08 FZ1:
  • Added a FE
  • Added a Dobeck Techlusion TFI

The bike starts and runs well in neutral. As soon as I put it into gear, 1st or 2nd, it quits. It's sounds like an electrical disconnect that's cutting the motor, not a coughing and weezing cutoff from a fuel issue.

Thoughts?

The side stand switch? That would kill the bike when you put it into gear if it thought the side stand was down. It is a common failure on motorcycles. I have not looked at the particular switch on the FZ1, but if you can take a look at it and see how it operates and jump it?

Anyone familiar with the switch?

I got it. Helps to put the kickstand up. Good call Deacon. :innocent:

But, I'm going to be able to report on a ton of stuff:

• FE
  • TFI box
  • 16T sprocket
  • Mivv GP exhaust
  • Corbin seat.

Photos this evening.

Last edited:
I know too well

Yeah, I have done that a couple of times myself over the years. That and the "kill" switch.....:eek:

Look forward to your reports

Had same thing happen to me right after I bought the bike. Scared :scared:the .... out of me. Naturally I thought all kinds of things were wrong. Then I realized the side stand was down.
Older bikes used to have a rubber piece on the side stand. If you took off with the sidestand down the rubber piece would drag and knock the stand up before it dug into the ground do a hard lefty.

A lot of riders complain about the sidestand switch, but not all bikes have it and I've ridden off with my sidestand down. First lefthander and the scraping sound says, Put the darnded stand up. Looks pretty stupid too. All of us have gone through the side stand cut-off situation at one time or another

Back