FZ1 Throttle - how unsafe it is?, FZ1 vs FZ6

Tunker

Hi guys, I was seriously looking at FZ6 but a low-milage 2007 FZ1 is up for sale which isn't much more expensive and it looks really good also. I currently ride a KLR 650 but I'm looking for something faster, street focused and frankly a little sexy(hehe). I test rode an FZ6 and while the throttle response was kind of annoying on the 2006 model I was never "scared "of it in so far as accidentally accelerating into something.

How big of an issue is this on the FZ1? How touchy is the throttle? Am I going to accidentally wheelie or drive into a tree?

I do want to get a bike which can do two-up riding and is sporty BUT I'm not a speed demon(lol, I swear a civic out-accelerated my KLR).

I came from a klr also. I'm 6'2" and 200lb. With stock gearing, Ivan tune, airbox mod and filter it is just shy of power wheeling. Iv clutched it up a couple times when getting on it hard, but I wouldn't call it a wheelie monster. I'm mostly a commuter & the bike works well for my 44mi, mosty highway, round trip. I miss the hard boxes my klr had and wish there was cruse control. Hindsight makes me wish I would have considered a FJR1300 at the time, but I'm also not in a hurry to swap.

Truly, for me, the fz1 makes it too easy to go 25-35 over.

I didn't have any complaints about the throttle before the tune (or now).

Klr - civic
Fz1 - corvette

Last edited:
I came from a klr also. I'm 6'2" and 200lb. With stock gearing, Ivan tune, airbox mod and filter it is just shy of power wheeling. Iv clutched it up a couple times when getting on it hard, but I wouldn't call it a wheelie monster. I'm mostly a commuter & the bike works well for my 44mi, mosty highway, round trip. I miss the hard boxes my klr had and wish there was cruse control. Hindsight makes me wish I would have considered a FJR1300 at the time, but I'm also not in a hurry to swap.

Truly, for me, the fz1 makes it too easy to go 25-35 over.

I didn't have any complaints about the throttle before the tune (or now).

Klr - civic
Fz1 - corvette

Prior to the ivan tune was the throttle an issue?

I didn't notice the throttle snatch people talk about. Mine is a '13, but I think the problem was in earlier models. So that '07 may have more of an issue. There used to be a big bump in power that you could feel at about 5.5-6k RPM, that is now smoothed out with more power down low. Maybe a problem if you went whiskey thottle leaned far over, but not normally.

Read the write up on Ivans website. If you find it's a problem get it flashed, honestly get it flashed if you don't find there is a problem. My bike runs significantly cooler now, has less vibration & gets better MPG. The flash is 350, but my out the door was somewhere right about 500 with an airfilter.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/2006fz1.htm

Point being, if the thottle characteristics are the only thing holding you up, it's easily fixable.

Read up on the generator rotor, the ones that came in the bike like to fall apart and shoot parts into your engine. It's an easy part to swap, but they are another $500. Luckily mine was done when I got it. The good ones will look like this. In the bad ones you can see the magnet stickes on the inside of the bell.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...KTUcNWwyjJ_sfVqGnJNtzzvK_WiekRqEaAjXKEALw_wcB

Hey ya, throwing my 2c into it,

I got an 07' FZ1 with 26k miles on it last October, after loving the FZ series bikes. It already has a power commander on it, and was already sprocketed 16/45. I kept the sprocket numbers when I upgraded to new components it's got great torque. I'm 6' and 240lbs.

I have pulled the front wheel slightly off the ground under heavy throttle, but not enough to call it a wheelie.

I also mostly use it for spirited commuting (27miles to work 35ish home) I side ride it home after work to enjoy the scenery and stay off the highway. It's scary how fast I can break triple digits when I get into it.

The other side of these statements is that the FZ1 was and is my first bike. So take it for what you will.

If you go for the FZ1, check the frame for the hairline cracks in the weld. It's a large known issue that you can use to bargain down a price.

So I've an 08 fz1, my last big bike was a 99 r1, yes the throttle is snatchy, but if you get rid of o2 sensor in the exhaust and plug in the wee o2 sensor eliminator into the loom it sorts the snatchy throttle issue, I use standard gearing, and I noticed the bike doesn't pull the wheel on power, well I can tell you now that I put a full exhaust system on the bike and left the baffle in, I noticed it did feel a bit down on power after 120 ish on the clocks ( track use only) and I thought that after the changes I've made it needed to go on the dyno to set it up properly, well after removing exhaust baffle the bike is a complete animal, it wheelies in first on power no problem, and wants to lift in second on power, any lip in the road at seven grand on the clocks or above and its vertical

You may have a small throttle snatch, however it is overexaggerated by most reviewers. It can be a little annoying but it certainly isn't dangerous and should not cause you to do a wheelie. There is a lot of power from the engine, so a small twist in the throttle will give a large acceleration. This is a no joke bike.

Back