FZ1 Shut Itself Off While Idling

I just finished changing my coolant, and fired up the bike to let it warm up and check for leaks. Well, I got distracted, and after about 15 minutes of idling, I heard the bike shut off. I was in the house, and I ran outside thinking that it fell off the stand or something. Nope. The bike was fine, key was on, and fans were running. The temp indicator was at 218F. Plenty of fuel in the bike, and it started right back up when I cycled the key.

Does the FZ1 (2008) have some sort of automatic shut off related to idling too long or overheating? I've ridden it over 218F before, so I don't think it could be that alone.

I don't think there is any shutoff, that would be dangerous if you were caught in traffic or on the highway. Maybe just a fluke, but never good to let it idle like that, it isn't designed for that and you'll eventually drain your battery. Maybe that is what happened.

Does the FZ1 (2008) have some sort of automatic shut off related to idling too long or overheating? I've ridden it over 218F before, so I don't think it could be that alone.

No, there's nothing to shut it off after idling for too long. As long as the fans are working properly it shouldn't overheat even at idle. Just be aware that at idle the battery is probably not being charged enough and letting the fans come on multiple times may drain it somewhat.

I took it for a spin to warm the chain and it started just fine. It was only running the fans for about 1 minute before I turned off the key.

Unless someone suggests otherwise, I'm going to treat it as a fluke. Just made (makes?) me a little nervous when I'm leaving for a 2000 mile trip tomorrow. I called my insurance and got the "extended trip" roadside assistance. Hopefully I won't need it!

Back