FZ1 running rough...cutting out....backfiring...NEED HELP!!

I have a 2001 FZ1 with Holeshot aftermarket carb kit installed and aftermarket Yosh exhaust and Holeshot AIS removal kit. I had the carb's professionally done at a race maechanics garage. The bike had been sitting 5 months prior. The bike "stumbles" on acceleration....esp. from 3K to 6K rpms. It runs quite rough right off of idle. The mechanic told me it might be carbon buildup in the engine. Under very hard acceleration, the bike seems to just fly...but even when I hold the throttle steady at 3K rpms on up....it runs rough and backfires and sputters. I am currently trying Seafoam in the gas tank to smooth things out but wonder what else I need to look at. I put in new plugs also. Could it be the ignition wiring?....or coils? How about a clogged or clogging fuel filter (fuel starved???). Its such a great bike and I really want to get this thing running properly but don't want to spend a fortune at the dealer or private mechanic. Again, when I am hard on the throttle, it seems to be smoother (not perfect) and the bike accelerates like a locomotive. Another point, idle rpm bounces up and down a couple of 100 rpm also. I know its fuel or ignition based or both. Sound familiar to anyone out there in the forum?? Tomorrow I'll replace the fuel filter and see if that helps. Thanks for all the input!!! I'm stumped!!!!

Step 1 - Drain the gas from the tank
Step 2 - Drain the fuel from the carb bowls.
Step 3 - Add 1/2 Bottle STP Fuel Treatment
Step 4 -Top off with premium fuel
Step 5 - Replace Spark Plugs

If it was just jetted... it doesn't matter that it's been sitting. it should run like a champ... and for a "professional race mechanic" ... well... how could he let a bike leave the shop that wasn't running properly? How does he know that he didn't mess up the install?

One thing is for sure... it's NOT carbon buildup in the engine.... If the fuel filter was clogged, it'd be starving for fuel and would run like crap... but especially at high RPM.. so go ahead and mark that off the list as well....

My bet is on either bad gas... fouled plugs... or a bad install on the jet kit.

In any case, I wouldn't take the bike back to that "mechanic" ever again. My father and I ran a motorcycle shop for quite some time... and if it doesn't run right, it doesn't leave the shop until it does.

Did it sit for 5 months AFTER the jet? With the same fuel in it? That happened to my 2nd bike, years and years ago. I agree with the above though, if all that doesn't clear it up, take it back!!!

Back