FZ1 noise after stator/rotor swap

After reading how to DIY here and countless videos on youtube. I swapped rotor/stator, and cleaned oil pan (where oil gathers at the bottom). To get out all bits from magnets and plastic.
All seemed fine, but after putting new part in, straight away I got this cracking noise/ teeth grind noise.

And although all is assembled bask as it was before, I get this noise and cant figure out what I did wrong.

Noise sample:

Maybe Idle gear makes this noise, or starter clutch.

Bearings are changed, stator/rotor new (amazon not original yamaha parts)

Any suggestion advice would be appreciated.

I did look how rotor+ and starter cluch is assebmled, I dont thing I could get wrong there.

small update - it sounds the same with old rotor.(without magnets, but checked if demensions line up).

And without stator/clutch assembly by push starting no noise

Last edited:
If I hadn't read your description, I would have thought nothing about that noise, i.e. it sounds fine to me. I know I've done work on my bikes and was convinced something sounded "off" afterwards but everything ran just fine. I tend to fixate/be hyper sensitive to noises I hadn't noticed before. Is that possibly the case here?
Otoh, you know your bike. If I were fairly certain something sounded different, I'd take a look inside to be sure. If something is grinding, I'd think you would be able to tell what it is in short order...

Sorry, but I don't have enough experience in that area to be of much help. Any mobile mechanics in your area?

Only time I've been in there was to replace my rotor and I got real lucky. The whole assembly came out together and I just had to swap a few pieces. Wish you best of luck figuring it out though!

Maybe you have some thoughts on my issue, i.e. oil leak from the bottom of my pan? :D I've got a newer thread running and am trying to upload a pic since I just found exactly where it's coming from....

I watched your videos and seems like everything is sounding just fine. It is possible that you developed hyper sensitivity for noises after spending so much time repairing it. If you replaced the only thing what's left is to do is to go out for a spin and have some fun.
How is it btw it's been a while since you put it all back together?

I watched your videos and seems like everything is sounding just fine. It is possible that you developed hyper sensitivity for noises after spending so much time repairing it. If you replaced the only thing what's left is to do is to go out for a spin and have some fun.
How is it btw it's been a while since you put it all back together?
Clicking noise is not good (doesnt sound healthy), plus it accelerates with revving engine and gets louder so much that I hear it through my ezxxaust note, I've tried to change tension when connecting sprocket and it does get quieter will go for a spin later, on positive side, starter works as it should, stator rotor produces 13.7v+, If only it would get as quiet as before I would be happy bunny, but for now I'm hyper sensitive to noises.

Hey Rifly, how has it been going since May? The noise I could hear from your videos aren't good. And I have the same issue since the stator gone (magnets detached) - I have also replaced both stator bearings, starter clutch, stator itself, but the noise is still present. Some say it could the crankshaft that took such a load it may have just the slightest bend after the stator exploded, OR, that the stator cover housing, where the bearing sits, got ever so slightly pushed that even the new bearing seems to fit perfect, but the stator isn't running true. And when the stator for whatever reason isn't running true, the teeth will grind slightly giving this exact noise. Teeth I mean the stator teeth and the crankshaft teeth. What do you think? Any other thoughts or rather a solution for this??

Hey Rifly, how has it been going since May?....

I sent motor to guys for rebuild, they didnt found anything wrong with internals, and I was happy and sad, since issue would persist if they would just assemble as is. After some talk with them, 5 min later, they found bent tooth on a crankshaft gear and some bits left in between teeth. It was filed down and all seems normal. Good luck, Gegri, hope you get sorted cheaper than me :) (around 700e work +100 delivery fees)

Bent tooth on crankshaft? Is it repairable? My issue seems to be the same as yours was, crankshaft tooth (or the shaft itself bent?), sadly. At least you have yours sorted, well done and enjoy riding, stay upright and on the black stuff.

Back