fz1 fuel consumption

Hi everyone,just read the other night about the poor fuel consumption of the fz1.The main reason for this is the fact that the r1 derived motor doesn't have heavy flywheels on the crank,its a quick high revving engine which lacks torque.Take for example the Suzuki 1250,busa and zzr1400,all these engines have massive torque delivered low in the rev range,so you don't have to rev them hard to get up to good speed,so less revs mean more mpg.Ive had 4 1250 bandits and EASILY achieved 60mpg and I don't hang around,the busa and zzr1400 around 48-50mpg.But what a motor the Yamaha has,nearly 150bhp in a relatively light machine its a rocketship,just a shame Yamaha didn't fit a bigger tank for a better fuel range,so to all you out there thinking of spending money on pcs ecu reflashes etc,I wouldn't bother it will never be economical.Going back to what I said about the crankshaft on the fz1,how many of you have noticed virtually no engine braking when coming down the gears,a high torque engine will give you this.Hope this has explained the thirst.

Considering that the first gen FZ1 has almost 15% better average fuel economy, I have to wonder if the culprit is down to stricter emissions regulations. Euro 3 regulations came into effect for the 2006 model year and I think that had a big role.

The FZ1 Gen 2 has twice the hp of my old Suzuki GS-750 and 50% more torque and gets about the same fuel mileage (35 to 40 mpg). I'm not complaining. Also I have a trip planned with some friends on cruisers and they have to stop every 100 to 125 miles for fuel.

The FZ1 Gen 2 has twice the hp of my old Suzuki GS-750 and 50% more torque and gets about the same fuel mileage (35 to 40 mpg). I'm not complaining. Also I have a trip planned with some friends on cruisers and they have to stop every 100 to 125 miles for fuel.

Hi old biker,you could call me the same,born 1950 lol,I think you would find the tanks aren't very big on your average cruiser hence stopping every 100-125 mls.I have a 1991 guzzi lemans mkv with dirty great 40mm carbs only about 80bhp lovely torque from the off,low revving,result 55-60 mpg.Not complaining too about my fz1,its the total opposite to ride versus the lemans and I love it.

Considering that the first gen FZ1 has almost 15% better average fuel economy, I have to wonder if the culprit is down to stricter emissions regulations. Euro 3 regulations came into effect for the 2006 model year and I think that had a big role.

Hi,i think you would find the gen2 fz1 is up on bhp than the gen1 with its fuel injection.The gen2 will have different cams and remapping,ive had a gen1 and it seemed torquier than the gen2 almost certainly due to it being a heavier bike Yamaha would have made the torque come in earlier.

I usually get about 44 mpg with my gen1. It's sometimes better and sometimes a little worse. The most mile I have put on one tank is 204. Mathematically I should be able to go further but I don't like to walk (push). LOL

When I first purchased my FZ1 I went through a couple tanks of different octanes of gas 87,89 and 93 I noticed each time I moved up to a higher octane of gas my mileage went up. I got 45mpg when my wife and I took the FZ1 on a trip with 93octane, the worst was 87 it only got the recommended 35 mpg plus it seemed to run better on 93. I have since had a few performance parts put on the bike and a lower 16T front sprocket and tuned on 93octane and I still get 35 with very spirited riding. I think there are a lot of things to consider when trying to get the best gas mileage out of a bike everything from gas, riding style, weight of the person and air in the tires. My 78 XS1100 got 45 to 50 so the FZ1 making more power and getting around the same gas mileage is just fine in my book.

My average highway mileage is 49.8 UK Mpg. This is what I go by since we have Imperial gallons in Canada. My US mileage works out to 41.5. Not too bad in my opinion.

My average highway mileage is 49.8 UK Mpg. This is what I go by since we have Imperial gallons in Canada. My US mileage works out to 41.5. Not too bad in my opinion.

That's very good RangerG,Im going on a tour of wales,england soon,with my missus on pillion and hard luggage.My fz1s is bog standard,so I will work out what mpg I get.

Born in 1983 so only a decade or so after the switch to metric. Definitely explains why I mix and match!

I often use US MPG because it's the only one that makes sense for comparison sake. I guess a childhood spent reading Car & Driver and other US auto mags will do that!

I measure my height in feet and weight in pounds but use metric for everything else, I think.

It's very confusing for my German girlfriend who is 100% metric.

Last edited:
Hi all,just done my economy run today.I brimmed the tank,set off with missus on pillion and did a 200 mile run not revving above 6k,sticking to our speed limits of mainly 60 and 70 mph and ive returned 52.8mpg which im quite pleased about.I got 140-145 mls before last fuel bar started blinking.

That's very good going ,, I manage around 120 till it starts winking at me ,, I do have a slip on and a pc3,and don't always abide by the speed limits

With my GenII I get 5.6 ltr/100km, that's 42 mpg(US). The F-Trip activates after 230 km and it goes at least 70 km more, but then it's about just the fumes left so I don't dare to try any further.

This R1-derived engine has very short stroke and is definitely made for high power, not for low rpm torque or the best economy. Although the FZ1 version has been a bit de-tuned and has heavier flywheel, you could still expect more low rpm torque from a 1000cc engine. It's also easy to stall it in traffic lights, but that can be solved by raising the idle speed a bit. I would be happy if it had only something like 120 hp in exchange for a better torque curve.

Back