FZ1 at the dragstrip

This line of chatter has probably been over and over nearly as much as tires and oil....

But here are the results of my best run at the local 1/4 mile dragstrip. I have road raced smaller bikes for many years but always sucked at the starts. Nothing has changed! And launching a liter bike hard is something I had NEVER done. So don't expect any great numbers here. Just a guy having fun and trying not to land on his back.

2014 FZ1
16t front sprocket
K&N air filter
Delkevic(sp??) slip on with EXUP removed
Flashed ECU by Vcyclenut included the 1st and 2nd gear nanny eliminate
I'm 6' 205lbs in my birthday suit
Rode it to the track so all the street stuff stayed. (I'm 4 miles from Lucas Oil Dragway. My house shakes when the top fuelers run!)

ET 11.248
MPH 129.03

R/T .459
60' 2.194
1/8 7.488
1/8 MPH 104.64
1000' 9.518
It is amazing how hard this thing is still pulling after 1/4 mile! A couple times I just used some of the 1/2 mile slow down and kept it pinned. Was still accelerating with 135 showing on the speedo when I clamped down on the binders. A fun/cheap night for $30 bucks! (did it two different times, 4 runs each night so $7.50 a run, get a slip with all your numbers that DIDN'T come from a cop!) Next summer some practice starts on a lonely empty road somewhere..... Then I'm back to get into the 10's and the 130's.

awesome! thanks for posting about it. I never thought about taking my bike to the drag strip. I would have to really practice my launches since I never roll it hard from a stop....

My local strip sez that under 12 seconds and you need a "tether/kill switch" so if you come off the bike, it stops the motor from running.
I drilled a TINY hole in the lower part of the stock kill switch. Equally tiny sheet metal screw and washer attached a 1/2" wide strip of velcro 3" long. Strip of velcro around my wrist and PRESTO! Of course they never even looked at it in tech inspection. Only guys running tethers are the stoopid fast 8 second, extended swing arm or wheelie bar rigs.
Velcro is removed for normal street riding and the hole is barely noticeable....
Drag racing is way more fun than it seems it should be.
Most places have mid week "test and tune" nights where you just make passes. No eliminations No trophies No money (offically....)

Well done!
I haven't drag raced since my last time in 2017, on my V-Max. 11.52 was my personal best. Sure miss it.
Here's a picture of me *temporarily* ahead of a BMW. I destroyed everyone to about 60 feet.
5 trophies in my garage today.

Attachments

• Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Vmax_BMW.jpg
    Vmax_BMW.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
I drag raced bikes for 25 plus years. Full out 7second drag bikes to steetbikes.
And yes,steetbikes are a handful to launch. But there are a few tricks to help out. 1 is to strap down the front end. 2 soften up the rest susp. and practice...

Another try at this in 2021.

131 mph
60 ft times are still awful. If I took my BEST 60 foot time and glommed in into my 11.05 run I would have been around 10.85. But if's and but's aren't worth much...

Another try at this in 2021.

131 mph
60 ft times are still awful. If I took my BEST 60 foot time and glommed in into my 11.05 run I would have been around 10.85. But if's and but's aren't worth much...
WTG....Hey,are you snapping the clutch out ot sliding it out? My technique is to bring the rpm`s up to 6000, lean over the tank and slide out the clutch while rolling into the throttle... Are you shifting with the clutch or blipping the throttle? Keep practicing....

Been racing bikes for 25plus years.....

Attachments

• zx12.jpg
    zx12.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 12
  • zrx1200race.jpg
    zrx1200race.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 12
  • zx12r.jpg
    zx12r.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 3P9-1508.jpg