Fueling advice

Hello, recently got an 08 FZ1,, has a K&N filter, stock flies, FCE, gutted header cat,,, I put on a Delkavic slip on (13" tri oval) and installed a Power Commander FC... I plan on the airbox mod this weekend,,, anyway, problem is with mapping... Ive been experimenting with dynojet maps and the dukes pack,, almost everything leaves it running rough at idle, low rpm (below 3500-4000) surging and hesitant,, experience made me think lean, but NO, when I take fuel out, it runs much better, but then ill get a miss upon hard acceleration... Most of the maps in the Dukes pack are for the 02 eliminated,, mine is in place,, so ive had better luck with the dynojet canned maps,, but it runs so rich down low, to the point if I put the baffle in the can it barely runs and the check engine light comes on! IDK, Im fairly experienced and can tune carbs, this is my first attempt at EFI,, suggestions? (Until I can get to a dyno),, , I commute on this bike, in Boston traffic, so I really need to get the low end smoothed out?
UPDATE: more research made me question the "throttle calibration" so after work today I checked it and it was set to a minimum of 1.1v on the PCFC!! At idle the bikes is like .664 so I think it was dumping fuel in at idle that should have been at 20 or 30% throttle... I reset the min throttle on the pcfc to .660, max is 3.3 or so,,, this deffinantly helped, but it is still giving me trouble, trying different maps and trim adjustments, its either to rich between 1300-3000 rpm,, or if runs good down low,, I get a nasty miss, hesitation betweeni 3000-4000,,,,, which sometimes goes away when the bike gets hot,, like even warmed up, it will do it, but then a trip down the highway,, getting into the throttle,, clears it up,, until next time I start it. ,,, isn't EFI supposed to be consistent?
Maps Ive had the best luck with
Dynojet canned leovince slip on map and their two brothers map
Lars map absolutely great mid and top end,, but I cant get the bottom dialed in
dynojet "improved' stock 09 map,, I have to lean the bottom considerably

I would like to experiment more with the maps in the dukes pack,, but I'm afraid if I use the 02 sensor disabled maps, it will conflict with the closed loop running of the bike? thoughts??

I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and can offer some advice,,, like the throttle calibration,, am I just missing something/

thank you

Hello, recently got an 08 FZ1,, has a K&N filter, stock flies, FCE, gutted header cat,,, I put on a Delkavic slip on (13" tri oval) and installed a Power Commander FC... I plan on the airbox mod this weekend,,, anyway, problem is with mapping... Ive been experimenting with dynojet maps and the dukes pack,, almost everything leaves it running rough at idle, low rpm (below 3500-4000) surging and hesitant,, experience made me think lean, but NO, when I take fuel out, it runs much better, but then ill get a miss upon hard acceleration... Most of the maps in the Dukes pack are for the 02 eliminated,, mine is in place,, so ive had better luck with the dynojet canned maps,, but it runs so rich down low, to the point if I put the baffle in the can it barely runs and the check engine light comes on! IDK, Im fairly experienced and can tune carbs, this is my first attempt at EFI,, suggestions? (Until I can get to a dyno),, , I commute on this bike, in Boston traffic, so I really need to get the low end smoothed out?
UPDATE: more research made me question the "throttle calibration" so after work today I checked it and it was set to a minimum of 1.1v on the PCFC!! At idle the bikes is like .664 so I think it was dumping fuel in at idle that should have been at 20 or 30% throttle... I reset the min throttle on the pcfc to .660, max is 3.3 or so,,, this deffinantly helped, but it is still giving me trouble, trying different maps and trim adjustments, its either to rich between 1300-3000 rpm,, or if runs good down low,, I get a nasty miss, hesitation betweeni 3000-4000,,,,, which sometimes goes away when the bike gets hot,, like even warmed up, it will do it, but then a trip down the highway,, getting into the throttle,, clears it up,, until next time I start it. ,,, isn't EFI supposed to be consistent?
Maps Ive had the best luck with
Dynojet canned leovince slip on map and their two brothers map
Lars map absolutely great mid and top end,, but I cant get the bottom dialed in
dynojet "improved' stock 09 map,, I have to lean the bottom considerably

I would like to experiment more with the maps in the dukes pack,, but I'm afraid if I use the 02 sensor disabled maps, it will conflict with the closed loop running of the bike? thoughts??

I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and can offer some advice,,, like the throttle calibration,, am I just missing something/

thank you

The problem with this bike, is the ECU Maps used by Denso.
It's unlike any normal tuning strategy they use.
From factory the bike uses Air Density to control the closed loop 2% to 18% throttle position in the form of the IMAP(intake mass air pressure sensor) and the o2 sensor.(This is where our throttle snatch issue is)
Even if you disconnect the o2 sensor and run a o2 eliminator, the ECU will still be using the IMAP to control 2% to 18% throttle.
Under different load conditions at these throttle openings the bike adjusts it fuel and spark maps accordingly via IMAP
You cannot get around this. Even if you use a PowerCommander, the ECU will always fight the PowerCommander in the closed loop 2% to 18% throttle.
If and when you have your ECU flashed, the tuner needs to get rid of the closed loop 2% to 18% and change to open loop.
Another very important step is, the tuner needs to change is the ECU strategy to Speed density (remember they are from facory air density)..
This way they ECU determines what needs to be done via TPS position and RPM
This is what the PowerCommander uses .

I've spent many dollars and many lost hours trying to fix the throttle snatch once and for all.
I tried various tuners who promised me a fix with their flash tune.
After spending close to $3000.00 Aussie dollars on time wasters and dyno's, I was ready to trade her in on something different.

But I couldn't let her go. This was her only fault.
I was told to speak to a Tuner in Western Australia.It was my last chance and you wouldn't believe it, he sorted it out and explained to me the above issue.

I now have no more throttle snatch but need to watch how quickly I turn the throttle as she will spin the rear tyre or lift the front without hesitation.

I actually enjoy riding her now.
I never really did before because of the throttle snatch.

And another upside of all this is that my fuel economy is now on average 5.7 l/100km. that's 1.14 litres for every 20km.

Edit / Delete

Thanks,, I was hoping I could get away with the stock ecu, but all the reading ive done points to the FCE causing some hiccups (ive already had to clean and tighten up the connections on it to get rid of the code 20 and cel) and the ecu basically needing a reflash to gain full potential from this bike Now Im thinking maybe Ill just call Ivans and see if I make the 5.5 hour ride out there I could get it flashed and mapped,,,, Im not keen on shipping my ecu out as I ride every day.

Back