Fuel tank capacity ?

Delta

Hi fellers.
Just a quick one. My FZ1 gen 2 is meant to have a 18ltr fuel tank yes?
Well each time I fill up I only manage to get around 14 ltrs in. This is from the last bar flashing on the clocks and I also open the filler cap and shake to hear what's left in the tank. I only fill on the side stand as the centre stand has been removed.
So is it an 18 ltr tank? Or is there more in the tank than I think and my bar gauge is reading wrong or am I not able to fill it to the brim?
How much fuel do you manage to squeeze in on average?

The tank is 18 litres but the fuel gauge will start to flash with around 1 gallon/3.8 litres left in the tank. The f-trip should pop up on the screen showing you roughly how far you can go on the blinky light. These would probably be very conservative indicators so that people don't run out of fuel all the time.

Last edited:
I have a bad habit of trying to push my fuel to the very last drop so I prefer to just calculate my range manually. I will reset my Trip A and calculate km/L a few times to give me a good idea of how far I can actually go on a full tank. My VFR has a 21 litre tank and the fuel light blinks with 1 gallon left (3.8L). When it starts flashing, I know I can easily manage 40-50 km before I actually have to stop for fuel.

Don't overthink it. I usually go out for 125-150 mile ride, I start with a full tank and there is a fuel station 3 miles from my house so I always make that the last stop on my way home. I fill up, drive home, and then clean up the bike (bugs, lube chain, etc) and I put an ounce of Fuel Med in the tank (fuel stabilizer/ethanol corrosion), roll it into the garage and connect the Battery Tender. Ride, repeat. I just keep an eye on the trip meter and don't even use the fuel gauge. Keep it simple.

The F-trip shows how far you can go-- have left?
Well when my fuel F-trip pops up it only seems to show how many miles I've done in that mode. Hmm is mine working right then?

That doesn't sound right. On my '06, when F-trip pops up, it always starts at zero. It should reset to zero after you gas up the bike. Good luck getting to the bottom of it.

I misspoke (typed). F-trip counts up from zero. What I mean is that you can calculate how far you're really able to go on the 18 litres by using the f-trip.

Back