Fuel system tips.

Mr scotto

Well the story starts with two seperate refuels,think i got the dregs from the tanks as the bowsers lost pump pressure and we've had lots of rain in theses parts.the following issue has only happened a few times at operating temp,bike starts fine then while idleing seams to drop to 3 cylinders-raise revs by 1-2k for a few seconds and things get better but this now gets the better of me.I think electrical but plugs changed 9k ago and tend to think this would be there constant or under load if this.Next is fuel, injector cleaner from auto shop in the tank and an excuse for a ride,then thinking i have read somewhere about tps problems i raise idle by about 200 revs(mistake,now i have done two things)bike has not missed a beat for 2 days but seems be poping out the exhaust a little more than normal,temp maybe running 2-3c above what i would expect unless being flogged seams to be ok.next step is on the net and off to fz1 forum for a bit of a search.
1.injectors may need to be removed and professionally cleaned.
2.fuel filter may be blocked(is this a filter or strainer?).
3.when removing fuel pump/filter are the gaskets reusable.
4.fuel tank will be removed and cleaned to the best of my ability.
Aftermarket pipe and no ecu upgrades on the bike.
So if anybody has any tips can i have them please.

My bike does a similar thing but runs & rides fine. From start the bike idles normal with choke then drops, this sounds like it's running rough on 3, but when warm fine. I have changed the plugs, fuel-line but still the same. What i think it is = the throttle synch & needing to be balanced. From what i have read it is straight forward but doing this will not give you any better performance or fuel economy. However, it will make the bike idle & run smoother meaning less vibes.

I'd put 5 to 6oz. of Seafoam in a full tank of gas first and run it through for the entire tank. If it seems better I'd run another 5oz. through as well. You will be amazed at how good the Seafoam is. The worst that can happen is you spent 8 or 9 dollars and still have an issue. Try it!

If I'm reading you correctly, you might think you got some bad fuel? If you think the fuel was contaminated then you might want to take the tank off and replace the filter. The seafoam advice is pretty solid, it's easy and relatively cheap. If you do decide to get into the fuel system, get new gaskets FIRST, then you won't get held up because of a leak.

Seafoam does seem to work pretty well.

A buddy of mine had an R6 that would do something similar to this, missed at idle and ran rough but if you rode it and got the RPM's up it would run better. We ran cleaner through it but it still ran rough. Ended up being that rats had chewed into some of the wiring :shaking head:.

No idea what sea foam is but if it injector cleaner in a bottle i have done two full tanks with injector cleaner in it.This has had a good afect on things but still think things are not 100% in there somewhere.the direction i'm heading in is to go to the next step of cleaning the fuel system properly as in removing injectors and filter.did pop into my local yamaha dealer workshop for a chat,asked them where they send injector to get profecinaly cleaned and the responce was that they do not send injectors to get cleaned but they will be able to sell me new ones if i want to go to the spare parts dept:bs:.They did suggest that the fuel pump gasket should be able to be reused.Next step is to find a company that can recondition injectors.as for the electrical side of things it was also suggeted that it maybe the spark plug lead/cap but still heading for my gut feel.
Thanks for the tips so far everybody.

Third tank of fuel with injector cleaner with a straight tank of fuel between each cleaner seems to have done the trick,got to do a lot of riding as a downside :australia::stirpot:.

Last edited:
As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.

Back