Fuel injector cleaner?

Anyone had the need to run a dose of fuel injector cleaner through their FZ1? Mine runs perfect but I put some in my Pajero ( Montero in the US. ) today as a routine thing and thought maybe I should run some in the bike to keep the injectors clean.
Any opinions? :dontknow: Cheers.

All injectors need a clean every now & then, be they bike or car. Probably worth putting some in at every service. I doubt that there is bike specific injector cleaners but checking with someone like Dynoverks as to what brand they use & recommend cant hurt. Ive used Wynns at work & in my own vehicles for years & have had no issues.

Intake system cleaners are a good idea when the machine sits for extended periods, to clean any deposits that may be the results of varnishing or other residue caused from evaporation, but my experience has been that when I run good clean fuel to begin with and keep the tank full with fresh fuel or add something like STA-BIL or Star Tron if I'm going to let it stand without use, I have no problems. An unjector cleaner won't hurt but if you talk to techs who do injector cleaning, they will advise that the injectors be removed and go through a very intensive cleaning process that removes all deposits, not just fuel related deposits. I've never had a problem myself, because I watch my system carefully but I have purchased a couple used bikes that did require removal of the carbs in order to completely clean every passage and jet. Injectors are far easier to maintain.

In the gas tank, and I can't remember the mixture on the label, how much per gallon, I use about 1/4 in a tankful. I've always ran Seafoam in my bikes, YEARS. Never had any issues with injectors. Cars to. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All injectors need a clean every now & then, be they bike or car. Probably worth putting some in at every service. I doubt that there is bike specific injector cleaners but checking with someone like Dynoverks as to what brand they use & recommend cant hurt. Ive used Wynns at work & in my own vehicles for years & have had no issues.
I`ve done over 260,000klms in my deisel hilux & 85,000klms on a honda 919 hornet,never once used a injector cleaner with both still running fine.Not saying not to use it,but I believe modern fuel is pretty good at keeping things clean.

I believe the opposite, that a lot of fuel is not clean. It can depend on where you buy it, what part of the country your in, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I`ve done over 260,000klms in my deisel hilux & 85,000klms on a honda 919 hornet,never once used a injector cleaner with both still running fine.Not saying not to use it,but I believe modern fuel is pretty good at keeping things clean.

I agree with you. Almost all gas today has 10% or higher ethanol ( alcohol ) in it. Most " injector cleaners " are alcohol based. Total waste of money.
I'm of the opinion that adding more alcohol in any form to fuel that already has ethanol is not only a waste of money but possibly harmful.
Stabilizers for storage are another story and worthwhile.

This chart may be helpful if you really want to know what your putting in your tank http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html
some good reading http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_gas_treatment_products.html

Last edited:
I agree Missyl1713, I work in a fleet workshop where we run everything from from brushcutters,mowers,cars trucks,tractors & earth moving equipment. We used to have quite a few issues with fuel quality from different suppliers. Blocked/dirty injectors & algea in the fuels were common.We now run a wynns treatment in our storage tanks & dose the tanks of the majority of our fleet that is fueled offsite at service stations. We no longer have any issues. Its also doesn't hurt to have a proffessional clean done every few years, you'd be suprised what a difference it makes.

Algea has always been a big problem,mainly with stored deisel, usally due to water build up in storage tank`s,these tank`s should have water trap`s and also need to be treated.no injector cleaner will fix this problem

Last edited:
Algea has always been a big problem,mainly with stored deisel, usally due to water build up in storage tank`s,these tank`s should have water trap`s and also need to be treated.no injector cleaner will fix this problem

I agree, thats why we started treating the diesel in our tanks, our problem with the diesel was initially coming from the suppliers tanks which of course ended up affecting our tanks.
We have also had problems with quality of the unleaded fuel gumming up injectors, which is one of the issues we have not knowing where the suppliers are getting the fuel from.This includes major fuel companies. Would be nice if there wasa bit better QC of the industry.

Interesting reading opinions on fuel injector cleaning. I use only 98 octane premium in my bike - no ethanol for me thanks. We have seen bad fuel (deliberate dilution) in the past that caused big problems as Fangn stated. The last few years have been ok but I think I'll run a cleaner through on a regular basis to be on the safe side. Still mistrust about fuel quality here in Oz. (speaking of quality, our internet is worse, like a third world nation, slow and expensive and it sucks). Cheers.

Back