Front Sprocket Change.......Again!

I got home from work today and decided to swap out the front sprocket instead of waiting for tomorrow. I want to get everything done so I can just go and enjoy the ride. I'm changing out the new JT Front 16T with the Yamaha OEM 16T. The "all steel" JT was just a bit too noisy for my tastes.

I started by removing the sprocket cover, rear set, and frame cover.
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

This is the JT Sprocket ready for removal.
IMG_0117.jpg

I had Richie hold the rear tire while I removed the nut with the air gun.
IMG_0121.jpg

The nut came off without applying any heat thank God!
Next I loosened the rear wheel and moved the set screws all the way in to give full slack in the chain.

Next I loosened the rear brake caliper bracket bolts front and back.
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

With the wheel loose, just a couple of hits forward and the chain was off.
IMG_0125.jpg

The front sprocket now comes off easily.
IMG_0126.jpg

Here are the two sprockets side by side. The OEM on the right has a rubber cushion which helps relieve some noise while rolling.
IMG_0127.jpg

The new sprocket now goes in place.
IMG_0128.jpg

Brand new washer goes in next.
IMG_0129.jpg

Followed by the nut.
IMG_0130.jpg

Once thats done, the rear wheel goes back on before tightening anything on the front sprocket.
IMG_0131.jpg

I took a break to say hello to my new neighbors. They've been hanging around the garage for the last two weeks. They are quite playful and keep me entertained while I worked.
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Once the chain slack was adjusted, and the rear wheel locked down, I had Richie step on the rear brake while I torqued down the front nut. The manual says 51ft lbs but I went a tad bit more as I do on the rear axle nut. Next I bent the tab down on the locking washer. One side perfectly flat and I bent the other tab down as well.
IMG_0136.jpg

All finished. Just reinstall the cover plate, rear set, and frame cover. Connect the gear shift linkage rod and your all set. I cleaned everything up and took her for a quick spin. Not a peep out of this baby! I'm happy again. Tomorrow the lower fairings go on for good and I'm gonna start riding the heck out of her!

So now I have a JT 16T Sprocket (All Steel) that has less than 300 miles on it. I'd call that almost new. If anyone wants it just pay me for the shipping and handling and it's yours. First dibbs gets it. Just post it here.;)

Hey Billy great tutorial. You're becoming a pro at changing sprockets and doing fork seals :D Glad everything went well. I know you have been dying to get your bike back on the road without having to worry about anything else for a while.

Hey Billy great tutorial. You're becoming a pro at changing sprockets and doing fork seals :D Glad everything went well. I know you have been dying to get your bike back on the road without having to worry about anything else for a while.

Thanks T, you know it! Now I can just concentrate on getting out there and putting some miles on the bike. I'm heading up to the mountain this Sunday early for my Father's Day Ride! Yipeee!!!!

Nice job once more Billy. Thanks!

So, no more noise and no more fork oil leak? :tup: Sweet!!!

Nope! Not a drip of oil from the forks and not a peep from the sprocket! I just finished polishing up my lowers here and I'll be downstairs early to get the lowers on and take a nice ride before the rain gets here. I'm going to mount the GPS so I can figure out the difference with the 45T rear sprocket. Now it's time for me to hit the hay! Have a great night and send my regards to Michele.

Nope! Not a drip of oil from the forks and not a peep from the sprocket! I just finished polishing up my lowers here and I'll be downstairs early to get the lowers on and take a nice ride before the rain gets here. I'm going to mount the GPS so I can figure out the difference with the 45T rear sprocket. Now it's time for me to hit the hay! Have a great night and send my regards to Michele.

Will do! She says thank you and Good Night too! :D

Great write up! Thanks! What is the price difference between the two sprockets?

Not enough to justify the increase in chain noise that's for sure. Not counting shipping I don't think the price difference between the two is more than $5. The stock one can be had for a little over $20 through dealers like Partshark...

Great write up! Thanks! What is the price difference between the two sprockets?

Just like Tony said, I should have gone OEM from the start. The price was just over 4 bucks more for the OEM, and I'm sure with some looking I may have been able to find it even closer. I'm quite sure that for most people the noise you get from the aftermarket sprocket would be tolerable. It was just bothering me because I came from having no noise at all to this "whine" for a lack of a better term, with the JT sprocket. It's not a super loud noise but enough that it became annoying to me especially on deceleration.

I'm Back Again And Ready For Action!

I ran downstairs super early this morning to get the lowers on and hopefully get a ride in before the rain comes. Unfortunately by the time I stopped cleaning stuff on the bike, the skies got quite dark. This bike is as clean as a whistle now so I'm not taking a chance on any rain drops screwing things up. The next 4 to 5 days look great so I'll wait for tomorrow.

So here she is again, all clean, no leaks, new everything, and ready to roll.
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Like I said before, here is a shot of the JT Sprocket 16T that came off the bike. It has less than 300 miles on it and doesn't have a scratch. The first member that wants it just has to call dibbs and only has to pay me shipping and handling.
IMG_0140.jpg

It's your Adam. Just PM me your shipping address and I'll get it out to you in a day or so. You can just send the shipping to my PayPal. I let you know how much it is once I have your info. Thanks.

Billy just use the small Flat Rate Priority Box from the post office. If I remember correctly it's like $4.95 pretty much anywhere in the continental US and gets there in 2-3 days.

Thanks Billy. I sent the PM and you dont have to be in any hurry to send it b/c it will be a little while before i have time to put it on. I guess i should have asked first...It will fit a gen 2 right?

Thanks Billy. I sent the PM and you dont have to be in any hurry to send it b/c it will be a little while before i have time to put it on. I guess i should have asked first...It will fit a gen 2 right?

Gen I and Gen II front sprockets are interchangeable so yes it will fit your Gen II w/o any issues.

I concur with Tony. The OEM 16T I bought for my Gen II was the part number from a 2005 FZ1. :D

Billy got the sprocket today and it looks great thanks so much!!! I cant wait to have time to put it on. This weekend i plan on installing my new tail light the has the turn signals built in, and LED flasher and flush mount front signals. once that is done it will be time for the sprocket if the copperdawg speed screen does not come first. It went to paint this past weekend so i should see it soon.

Thanks again!!!

Back