Front Plate Requirements

Does anyone know why some states in the Union require front plates on Cars, but not on motorcycles?

I have been thinking about this recently and cannot figure out on my own why a State such as California would require a front plate on a car, but not one a bike.... Double Standard?

I am not saying I want to have a plate on my bike.... In fact I have never run a front plate on my wifes truck and only had one on my car for a short while, I hate the way cars and trucks look with front plates.

To be honest I never really notice the front plate on my car when I drive it or the rear plate for that matter.

It's for law enforcement identification in either direction.

Good question and my answer is "No idea!" Here in NH, we are also required to have a front plate on all vehicles except motorcycles. I'd say lack of proper space and messes with aerodynamics?

To be honest I never really notice the front plate on my car when I drive it or the rear plate for that matter.

It's for law enforcement identification in either direction.

If it is a matter of public safety, then shouldn't motorcycles be required to comply with that law as well?

Also, the Police do not need to see front license plates, law Enforcement in all the states that do not require it don't seem to have any problems catching thieves.

IL requires a front plate on cars too. I wish they didn't. IL is so stupid. One time we went to the DMV just to change plates from one car to another. We owned both cars, we just wanted plates A on car B and plates B on car A. Seemed simple enough. Well, in the end, the DMV had both plates registered to one car and none on the other. I was tempted to run plate A on the back and plate B on the front. "No officer, it all legal. Both plates are registered to this car!"

Maryland requires front plates for cars but not motorcycles. The only reason for front plates is law enforcement. While the officers may not need the front plate, automated plate reading systems and security cameras are greatly aided by having both plates. I think front plates on motorcycles are ridiculous and if I was required to use one I just wouldn't. There isn't any space for it, and I'm not putting a huge sail on the front wheel. Heck, if my bumper on my truck didn't have ugly holes in it already I wouldn't run the front plate on the truck either.

The only reason for front plates is law enforcement. While the officers may not need the front plate, automated plate reading systems and security cameras are greatly aided by having both plates.

That is my entire point. If it was NEEDED, then it would also be required on motorcycles. It is not needed. That is my point. In fact I refuse to run front plates on my car or my truck. I have actually been pulled over and the office has never checked for a front plate. It is just a stupid law that needs to go away.

Texas requires....I made a bracket for my car because I was tired of getting pulled over for lack of front plate....I was pulled over 6 times in 3 years for it....no tickets...but a waste of time.

Back