Front end shimmy

Ok guys, another question, this morning on the way to work I noticed when I take my hands off the handlebars, as the bike slows, it started shimmying in the front end. It's never done that before. Ya know, you lean back stretch for a second, no hands, and as the bike slows it started bouncing all over the place. I'm about to change the front tire this weekend, it's time to change it, got twelve thousand miles almost put of
It. Would that be it? Advice as always is appreciated!!

tire is suspect -- but you are set to replace

recently do any front end work?
adjust height of forks in triple clamp (offset)?
brakes (pads rubbin/warped rotor/ or something get caught that is grabbin in the caliper?)
steering head bearing(s) need to be tighten?

those are the big ones that come to mind......

Last edited:
I did brake lines, and did have a problem with a caliper, but I put it on the center stand and the wheel free spins without any rubbing, and it looks like it tracks straight.
Where is the steering head bolt at? Can you show me a pic? I also have on my agenda to grease the bearings this weekend after I get it back from having the tire changed. I will check! Thanks!

If you got 12k miles on that tire then I would suspect that's the issue. By the way since you're going to have to remove the front wheel anyway to grease and adjust the steering stem bearings you might as well wait until you have it all apart then just take the front wheel to get the new tire put on. Might save you a few bucks on the labor since the shop\dealer wont be removing\reinstalling the wheel themselves.

If you got 12k miles on that tire then I would suspect that's the issue. By the way since you're going to have to remove the front wheel anyway to grease and adjust the steering stem bearings you might as well wait until you have it all apart then just take the front wheel to get the new tire put on. Might save you a few bucks on the labor since the shop\dealer wont be removing\reinstalling the wheel themselves.

I went out this morning and checked the steering bolt..it's tight. The tire does look like it is probably the culprit. Thanks for the taking it off myself idea, but I'm probably going to take it to them tonight, I need the bike for the week. :) ONce again, you all ROCK :unworthy:

12k is a good life on a tire. Well done! Does it show any weird wear such as cupping on either side? What are you replacing it with?

Nope, bit it does feel
Like it has a bulge or two, I'm gonna be takin it easy on the way to the dealership this afternoon, I put a Dunlop roadsmart on the back at about 8000 miles, so that's what I'll put on the front as well. :)

I dropped it off at the dealership to have them mount a new tire. I hate taking it there, the mechanic in the shop treats me like in some kind of idiot all the time. A stupid girl. I'm a friggin electrician! I know he will always make some kind of comment. He called me a bit ago and said my chain is to tight. Funny, your supposed to be doing my front tire. And the last time my chain was adjusted was by the Honda dealership that changed my back tire. I haven't had to adjust it in forever. I'm never taking it to this guy again. What a jerk. :(

I dropped it off at the dealership to have them mount a new tire. I hate taking it there, the mechanic in the shop treats me like in some kind of idiot all the time. A stupid girl. I'm a friggin electrician! I know he will always make some kind of comment. He called me a bit ago and said my chain is to tight. Funny, your supposed to be doing my front tire. And the last time my chain was adjusted was by the Honda dealership that changed my back tire. I haven't had to adjust it in forever. I'm never taking it to this guy again. What a jerk. :(

Don't feel too bad about the mechanics treating customers like idiots. It is not souly reserved for the women. The fact that you ride a kick ass sport bike in itself deserves some respect. You won't get that garbage here as you know.

I do more and more of the maintenance myself just for the satisfaction, and I have a hard time paying a mechanic upwards of $100/hr since I don't make that.

Woman or not there is never any reason to disrespect or be condescending towards customers. I guess I take it for granted because neither my bike nor my car ever have to deal with a mechanic other than me. As far as I'm concerned the more you're able to learn and do on your own the better it is. Not only do you save money, but you get the satisfaction of doing the job right.

I agree with Tony but we also have to consider a place to do the work and the proper tools, one or both of which a lot of people don't have and need to rely on a mechanic to get the job done properly. ;)

Lol..B52's? I was thinking No Doubt, "cause I'm just a girl..a little ole me.."
I LIKE doing this stuff myself, and it does get done correctly, I think all the mods and maintenance I've done, he see's, and it's money no in his pocket. That's just my opinion on why he's so condescending to me though.

I hate doing stuff myself but I do feel a lot of gratification when I do. :)

"The whole shack shimmies when everyone's moving around and around and around."
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM]YouTube - The B52's - Love Shack[/ame]

I am thinking the real problem is there is a party in your front tire!

I hate to get so technical on everyone. Consider yourselves schooled. ;)

Kate

Kate, the red head is so hot. I'll bet those moves are getting harder at her current age though. :innocent0002:

What were we talking about again, rubbers, Oh no tires sorry!! :teeter:

Family friendly, I must keep it family friendly..... I need a cold drink.

Back