Front axle special tool

Broke_Dirty_FZ1

I doubt you guys have the same tools in your garage that I do, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this nonetheless.

My rear tire failed state inspection so I decided to get new rubbers all the way around, because I wanted to replace the rear with a Pilot Road 2 and I don't like to mismatch manufacturer's tires.

So of course, I set out to save bookoo money by pulling the wheel assemblies off and taking them to the shop instead of letting them charge me full price for R&R.

Back wheel comes off, no problem. I've done it before and I have all the tools. I go to get the front wheel off and I realize I don't have the huge allen type driver to remove the front axle. The biggest one I have is 17mm. So there I am, thinking I will either just take it to the dealer after all, or go and have to buy a special tool for $30 or $40, severely dipping into my new found savings.

BUT! I get to looking through my tool box when I realize I have this. A craftsman nut splitter and the part that you wrench on just happens to be the exact same size as the axle.
DSC00167.jpg

So I pull that threaded piece off and use a crescent wrench on the still exposed head to remove the axle, because I also don't have a wrench that big, and I don't have a deep well socket that is that size either.
DSC00168.jpg

Next, before going home with my new tires, I stop by Harbor Freight to get the proper socket or a crows foot so I can torque the bad boy back on. No go, the biggest they have is 17mm and only in complete sets. I get back home and realize that the threaded side fits completely into the axle.
DSC00169.jpg

Which allows me to do this, and put the torque wrench on there.
DSC00170.jpg

I couldn't believe my luck.

hahaha, in the words of the A-Team .............. "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together" !!!!!!!

Nice tale, and great pics for the full effect. Made for a good nite time read with my cup of tea and packet of chocolate biscuits !!!

Seth

If you flip a spark plug socket around it fits perfectly as well. :)

I looked around a little more and I see what you are talking about now. I thought you meant the spark plug tool that came in the under seat kit.

I am wondering if Yamaha intended for the spark plug tool to be used for the front axle, but that some were made improperly. Mine just barely does not fit by the slimmest of margins, and I have read of other people saying they use theirs. I should be able to take the grinder to it, and by just removing the slightest amount off the surfaces, it should work fit just fine. But I would need a crows foot to torque it.

Lol

I was doing the exact same process today: pulling wheels one at a time to take to the shop for mounting of the new Dunlop Q3+ tire. Saving money, right? Well the last guy who put the front wheel on tightened the front axle “roughneck” tight. The cheesy tool from the tool bag was ready to collapse when I stopped. Got on Google, found this thread and Lo and Behold! I’ve got the same nut splitter in my toolbox!
Now, this sumbitch was so tight that I had to weld a nut to my splitter spindle. I tried double nutting it but the left- hand action just unscrewed the top nut no matter how tight I got it. Fire up the MIG welder and boom. I mean ZAP. Front wheel axle tool!
Honestly, I’ll bet I’ve used that nut splitter like twice in 30 years. SO glad I had one in my toolbox and that I stumbled onto this thread.
4A21A0AA-DFB5-4E3B-8794-BF0B3A2D7006.jpg

Back