From stock to worse with one mod only - please help.

Hi gents.
So i bough my Fz1 2006 completly imaccumated stock everything 10.000kms.
I went ahead and i did the lars air intake cutting and replaced the dirty old paper filter with a brand new k&n filter ( no lub ). The bike gets growling like a cat hungry for fuel at mid range ( 3 to 6000 revs ) it was super smooth before , now it a nightmare of dirty noise reving up. :((
So i clearly messed up mid range and there are no gains on low or high end .

I left the ais tube there and everything else ,just enlarge the plastic box intake and replace the filter.
What am i missing here ? It looks there is too much air in the mix at mid range thus this growling sound ...but who knows... its just horrible . I live in Portugal, Europe, btw
Any support to get this sorted is appreciated.
Joao

I, too, removed the AIS system but left the airbox alone. My throttle smoothed out but took a slight dip in gas mileage, so I'm going to guess you need to either get a tune or get a stock airbox and filter put back in....

Probably need a tune so the ECU knows what to do with the increased Air Flow. I do not believe the stock ECU is capable of learning on the fly and adjusting the mapping.

Yes indeed thats what i thought. The ECU does not know what to do with the air intake increase.
So at this point i can either buy a new airbox ( OEM ) or i can go ahead and have the ECU tuned.
This brings me to wonder about 2 things :
1st If i take it to have it tuned - Is there a way to save the original mapping that the bike is carrying , in case the new mapping screws it even more ?
2nd Is there a plug in the bike where the tunner should connect the computer or does he have to take off the ECU out of the bike and have it connected with his tunning hardware ?

Sorry my questions maybe be dumb. I found myself in this dilema. I have the FZ1 as my second although very important day to day bike. And its not that i think its slow , i only went with this airbox mod, searching for more power on the low revs ( 2000 to 5000 ).

I have a gen 1 which is carbureted, so I am not sure what the answer is about multiple mappings.

I do have a 2007 Yamaha Vstar that came with a power commander device that is a learn on the fly ECU mapper - at least that is what the guy I bought it from told me. Essentially it will constantly read airflow and other settings and adjust the mapping as needed.

Try calling Ivan's shop and talk to them about it. They are the premiere FZ1 tuners.

1 - It depends. If you mail the ECU to a tuner (Ivan or VCyclenut are the two I know about), they offer free re-programming if you want to go back to the stock tune. Adding a Power Commander should allow you to hold one or more maps that you can switch between as you see fit.

2 - Pretty sure (but not positive) they would have to connect directly to the ECU. There are probably more than a few FZ1 dyno videos around that you could check out and get an idea of how it's done.

Thanks so much.
Im waiting on Ivans European party to find put what the cost and process is to get it tuned, since im from Portugal , Europe.
Do yal think the air mod and ECU flash would give me an extra low end thrust , but keeping the stock muffler ?

Thanks so much.
Im waiting on Ivans European party to find put what the cost and process is to get it tuned, since im from Portugal , Europe.
Do yal think the air mod and ECU flash would give me an extra low end thrust , but keeping the stock muffler ?
Only adding more influx of air without increasing the outflow will have limited results.

The best bet is to mod the airbox and the exhaust at the same time and then map accordingly.

My first FZ1 had a full Yosh system on it. headers and pipe. I do not know if the carbs had special jetting or anything about the air filter. It ended up getting totaled in a minor accident due to the plastics being damamged.

I bought another Gen 1 - the one I have now - and swapped the exhaust to it. The only difference I noticed between the Yosh and stock exhaust is the sound, I don't know that it added any power. I am still running the stock airbox and stock filter setup. I really did not need more power, I just wanted that Yosh Sound.

Thanks so much.

Yes, a little but the best and most noticeable mod for lower end grunt is to change your sprocket setup by going down 1 tooth on the front and up on the rear. Most riders who do this mod go +2 on the rear. I've only done the front sprocket (on my CBR) and the difference was noticeable. Bear in mind that your speedometer will be way off unless you get something like a Speedohealer to reprogram for the new setup.

The stock ECU can adjust fuel / air mixture to a point to account for changes in elevation, but not for something like a big reduction in air intake restrictions. The added air will cause the bike to run lean. If you have no intentions to do further mods, you could get the ECU flashed to match the airbox mods and bring the fuel/air ratios back into balance. Ivan's flash also removes the power limiter restrictions the reduce the power in gears 1-3 below 7K rpm. Removing those restrictions will give you more low-end grunt.

If you are looking at further mods, each mod the messes with the fuel air mixture and would require a mapping change. If you just want to bring it back into balance, a PowerCommander is a plug-in mod that will allow you to rebalance with the airbox mods, but won't correct the power limiter that Yamaha wrote into the ECU. The PCV software allows you to build custom maps, and it takes about 15 minutes to connect a laptop to the unit and remap if you have a map ready to install. I have some custom maps that I got from FZ1OA for specific modifications, but not exactly what you have at the moment. There is also a PC 6 available at the Dyno Jet website. The PCV and PC6 are about $400 USD.

I have a "Stage II" map that was set up for a slip-on muffler, cat gut, airbox mod, and stock secondary butterflies. That looks like the closest I have. These maps were built for the PCIII, and not the PCV, but the map itself is essentially a table of numbers, and you can create a PCV or PC6 map to match these PCIII maps. My PCV software allows PCIII map imports, so that's pretty simple. This map may be set up for lower back pressure due to the exhaust mods, and may set you up better, but maybe a little bit on the rich side. That would certainly be better than running lean, but may not be the exact map for your situation.

If you are looking to stick with the stock exhaust and just want the extra low-end grunt, maybe an Ivan's flash could remove the power limitations in the lower gears, smooth out the throttle response (fuel cut-off). That may do the trick, but I would say you may need to call Ivan and see what he can do for you. I think the cost of the flash would be about the same or maybe less than a PCV or PC6.

Last edited:
Another thought on the ECU flash. Getting the ECU flashed to reset the fueling for the air box mods will set it to increase the fuel to match the increased air input. Logically, that means lower fuel efficiency. If you also want to preserve fuel efficiency and get the power back from the power limitations that Yamaha wrote in, it may be worth considering restoring the airbox to stock and getting the ECU flashed based on the stock configuration. You should get increased low-end power in gears 1, 2., 3, and also get a better fuel/air mixture for better efficiency throughout the rpm range. The end result could very well be more low rpm grunt AND slightly better fuel economy.

Disclaimers: I do not have my bike flashed. I have a Yoshi slip-on and the PCV installed. Those are the only performance mods on my bike. Also, I am a physicist, so I know a bit about the concepts, but I am NOT a tuner or trained mechanic. My input may include useful suggestions, but I would certainly recommend discussing this stuff with the real experts. Here in the states, most people think of Ivan as the expert, or at least one of the top experts. He knows his stuff and Is a great guy. He'll give you the straight facts.

On a side note, when I re-jetted my 2005 FZ1 carbs, the change in the low end power was immediately obvious, and caused a medical condition where I couldn't get the grin off my face. I installed the Dale Walker Holeshot jet kit and timing advancer. As Dale claimed, the better air / fuel ratio gave me an increase in fuel mileage... about 3 or 4 mpg. OK, it was a completely different design, but the concepts are very similar.

Hi gents.
So i bough my Fz1 2006 completly imaccumated stock everything 10.000kms.
I went ahead and i did the lars air intake cutting and replaced the dirty old paper filter with a brand new k&n filter ( no lub ). The bike gets growling like a cat hungry for fuel at mid range ( 3 to 6000 revs ) it was super smooth before , now it a nightmare of dirty noise reving up. :((
So i clearly messed up mid range and there are no gains on low or high end .

I left the ais tube there and everything else ,just enlarge the plastic box intake and replace the filter.
What am i missing here ? It looks there is too much air in the mix at mid range thus this growling sound ...but who knows... its just horrible . I live in Portugal, Europe, btw
Any support to get this sorted is appreciated.
Joao
Hello Kaon,
Yuo could send your ECU to VCYCLENUT (search on google) for around $200 he'll correct you speedometer for your gearing, and any other mods (there is a questionnaire you fill out) and he removes the factory ignition retard in gears 1-3.
I was 16 front 45 rear, and speedometer was corrected perfectly and the bike felt like perfect, no jerkiness in the lower gears, etc. First time I cracked the throttle pretty hard in first, front wheel came too feet off the ground...lucky I cover the rear brake...
He is in Washington State in the USA and his name is Dave Verdeccia. Look him up and give him a call.

Back