Dustin

Where: Ouray, Colorado
When: Saturday, July 25 and Sunday, July 26th, 2015
Lodging: Matterhorn Inn

Saturday's group ride will be 230 miles with a lunch stop somewhere
PszWZ0bl.jpg

ouray_brauer.jpg

Last edited:
Official attendance list. Feel free to let me know if you are or aren't coming!

1) Dustin - Vancouver, BC
2) Lytehouse & John - Colorado Springs, CO
3) Hellgate & family - Austin, TX
4) Hail & wife - Houston, TX
5) IBCivic - Montreal, QC
6) nucmedman - Arizona
7) fzdnasr14 - Madison, WI
8) Devilsyam - UK
9) Brian Allen - Colorado Springs, CO
10)

Last edited:
Wow… Gorgeous! I need to think about this…

Would love to have you there......just let me clarify something, those pics were taken in the fall...summer will look different and a lot of those shots were taken from dirt roads.
But Ouray is just as beautiful in the summer!

Forum Meetup July 25th & 26th, 2015

Official attendance list. Feel free to let me know if you are or aren't coming!

1) Dustin
2) Lytehouse & John
3) Hellgate & family
4) Hail & wife
5) IBCivic
6) nucmedman
7) fzdnasr14
8) Devilsyam
9)
10)

New member, Brian Allen from Colo Springs will attend.

I had a idea maybe you can include where everybody is coming from so people can hook up on their way up. I know for me it's going to be a least a 10 plus hour ride if I drive straight thru.

John found this place: Matterhorn Inn Motel - Ouray, Colorado 81427 (970) 325-4938 We booked a king bed @$110.49 a night
They are motorcycle friendly, they received a 97% thumbs up on tripadvisor, continental breakfast in lobby or give vouchers for hot breakfast at a deli up the street.
They have a "motorcycle" rate if you call her 970-325-4938 ask for Mickie
Booked our room for July 24th & 25th.

Ouray is a very popular in July....so book it soon.

The Ouray Inn where Dustin had originally booked is across the street, just in case someone chimes in late.....

Last edited:
hey all realy plaining to go but could use some help, for me it a good 10 hour ride . I have a concern with fuel stops any one know a site I can use to plane fuel stop(sure would hate to run out of gas). sure looks cold for this desertrat looks like I'll have to pack winter gear.

In my experience, running out of fuel in the USA is very difficult. Gas stations are everywhere, every one horse town has them. My suggestion to you is to map a route out and just use street view (or simply use the search box) to see if there's any gas stations in town. You should have no trouble. When in doubt, top it up; you get a chance to stretch your legs anyway!

Last edited:
sure looks cold for this desertrat looks like I'll have to pack winter gear.

Looks like that pic was taken in the fall/winter.....you won't need winter gear in July, but you will need a hoodie or a light jacket for night.
Oh and rain gear!! We don't get a lot of rain, but when we do get it, it's cold!

hey all realy plaining to go but could use some help, for me it a good 10 hour ride . I have a concern with fuel stops any one know a site I can use to plane fuel stop(sure would hate to run out of gas). sure looks cold for this desertrat looks like I'll have to pack winter gear.

I agree with Dustin, I'd be shocked if you found a route, even on backroads, that didn't have gas. Where in AZ are you coming from?

As far as winter gear, even for a desert rat, plan on average temps in towns like Ouray, Silverton and Telluride being about 70-80, plus or minus about 5 degrees, but mornings start out cool. If we pull out around 8-9am it may not be much above 60 yet, but it warms quickly. The ride Dustin planned out will take us through those towns and over a couple of passes around 10-11,000ft. Figure the temp will be about 10-15 degrees cooler at the tops and they typically have pull-offs if you want to take some pictures so you could be up there for 10-15 minutes. Warms up quickly when you start coming back down though, and the towns at lower elevations like Durango, Cortez and the sections in between may be in the 90's. Doesn't get much warmer than that. Plan on rain in the afternoon. Somewhere along the route you'll probably get a little wet. Storms are usually hit and miss, most times I don't put raingear on because you ride out of it in 10-15 minutes anyway and then have to shed the extra layer because the sun comes back out and it gets hot. The rain is cold at these high altitudes.

Should be a great time. The route Dustin picked is almost always on somebodies list for top five or ten motorcycle rides in the country. The scenery is beautiful, and there are some cool mining and resort towns on the route. Lytehouse and I try to make it down there at least a few times a year. It also has some of the best off-road riding in the country if you are into that kind of thing. If I could get our street and dirt bikes down there, we'd be staying for a week.

I'm looking forward to it and meeting everybody.

Late July will be nice. What will surprise you is the intensity of the sun at that altitude. Rain gear and heavy sweater under your gear and you'll be okay.

ok this is were were at
we will be in the gunnison ouray durango area that week end
as are trip starts a week before i cant pin down exacatly were we will be in advance
but two goldwing sporting uk flags will be a bit of a give away

Back