Fork Oil

I think new oil will always feel better, the oil in my forks was surprizing clean with 50,000klms first change. I stuck with the Yamaha 01 because every site said 01 was a different weight from 00- 05 etc and as I was happy with the forks[ I am 75kgs] decided to stick with the original fluid

I think new oil will always feel better, the oil in my forks was surprizing clean with 50,000klms first change. I stuck with the Yamaha 01 because every site said 01 was a different weight from 00- 05 etc and as I was happy with the forks[ I am 75kgs] decided to stick with the original fluid
It will but I bought my bike with 800 miles on it and it never handled near as nicely with the factory oil. I'll be honest I feel more of the subtle differences in the road now but I also feel like I'm more in tune with how the bike is reacting to the road.

It will but I bought my bike with 800 miles on it and it never handled near as nicely with the factory oil. I'll be honest I feel more of the subtle differences in the road now but I also feel like I'm more in tune with how the bike is reacting to the road.

How heavy are you? a lot of riders use the 01 in their flat track racing bikes [ not FZ1s of cause], but if you like the difference and the feel suits you better, then great, too bad it not a job as quick to do as changing the engine oil so you could try different weights.

How heavy are you? a lot of riders use the 01 in their flat track racing bikes [ not FZ1s of cause], but if you like the difference and the feel suits you better, then great, too bad it not a job as quick to do as changing the engine oil so you could try different weights.
190lbs (86 kg) and actually just an oil swap is a very quick change. The left over amount from old stuff will be negligible. All ya gotta do is drop the bottom bolt in the fork let the oil out pump the fork a few times to remove as much as possible. Replace bolt and refill from the top. Measuring the correct amount is more difficult but honestly if you keep track of how much came out the same should go back in.
Obviously fork oil changes can get much more technical and amounts more exact but its not like most of us are pushing the limits of the suspension so small differences will go unnoticed, in fact there are several bikes out there that riders recommend changing fluid levels to adjust how forks respond.

Last edited:
Back