forgot my tire repair kit

when I ran a rear flat tire. :shame:

Last friday me and some biker colleagues set out for a ride full of twisties in the Belgian Ardennes. Standard I always take my tankbag with me for my stuff (like raingear, extra set of gloves, camera, tire repair set etc). As we're planning do ride some fun twisties this tankbag is a bit in my way so I mounted my saddlebag and moved stuf accross.

When leaving the highway to our rendez-vous point I started to notice havey steering of my bike..when parked at the rv point I noticed my rear was flat..DAMN!

When inspecting the tire it appeared a small hard plastic debris punctured it's way trough the tire, and in the middle of the run surface, so ideal to use my tire repair kit....only to learn that was one of the items I did NOT transfer from my tankbag to my sadlle bag...

making some phonecalls and one of my friend scouting the area for a tyre center, a friendly worker saw us and offered his help, ie he offered his tire repair kit he had with him in his truck...with his help we removed the plastic culprit, cleaned the puncture and pressed the special product in the tire. Inflated it and it no air was escaping.
We passed by a tire center where I verified agin the tire pressure and to check if any air was leaking by means of some soapy water and all was thums up.

So of we took for the twisties, where I kept the pace pretty civilized just to verify the tire kep ok. After approx 50km we pulled over and I checked pressure again and to my satisfaction it was still good...so off we went again, this time the tempo went up...:yes:

When arrived at home I checked again rear tire pressure the next morning to learn no air has leaked...

Summary or lessons learned:
1. Murphy will hit you when you do not have the right gear with you
2. Such a tire repair kit works very well (but I doubt it'll work as effective when having a puncture on the shoulders of your tire)

Back