Fitting Heated grips

Summer here now but I'm fitting heated grips for next winter soon. Anything not obvious I should think about? Got a micro relay and have no problems with wiring but If anyone has any suggestions as to what not to do, Feedback appreciated.

I had under the grip heaters on my FZ1. I forget the brand but they were fairly inexpensive. Install was super simple, they just stick to the bar/throttle tube and your grips go over top. My friend helped me wire it up with a relay, tapped to an ignition source & with a 3-way toggle switch. They worked very well and you'll love em!

Funny you make a thread about heated grips! I was just about to make a thread asking for opinions on Oxford HotGrips, the fancy ready-made heated grips. I've done the cheaper grip heaters with a toggle switch and now I'm keen to give the fancy ones a go on the 919. Adding up the costs of the heaters, relay & new grips, it's only 30% more for the fancy one with electronic toggle switch and quality components. Apparently they do work much better & get a lot hotter

I might go pick up a set tomorrow. Sick of frozen hands :cry:

Last edited:
$20 heated grips from cyclegear and some high temperature electrical tape, a $1 metal clamp for mounting the resistor to the fairing stay is all it took for me. Next time I will go with the fancy Oxford ones. I just connected to one of the free headlight connectors as my HIDs just use one.

As I haven't started installing mine yet, I can't tell you what not to do ;)

BUT I can tell you what I am going to do...

I picked up some Symtec Heat Demon Grip Warmers, which come with a dimmable LED controller. Heat Demon Grip Warmers - RevZilla

Spent a bit more on the Demon Grips due to the controller because I feel the Oxford controllers suck.

Will be installing them with a relay and fuse box FUSE BOX DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM CARAVAN BOAT MARINE 12 VOLT 12V 4X4 BOAT NEW 6 WAY | eBay

Grip Puppies will then go over the top of the handlebar heaters.

All the best with your project Craig. :popcorn:

I've used several sets of the Oxford heated grips on several bikes. They are really easy to fit and work very well. You'll love them.

The only issue I would highlight is that once fitted, they appear to have a slight circuit drain, which if you leave, can flatten the battery over a period. If you're going to lay the bike up for a bit, remove the in-line fuse.

If you are fitting the Symtec elements under the stock grips, please be sure to stick the elements at the very end of the bar. This allows the grip to cover the entire element AND (key here!) the wire where it meets the element. Not important on the clutch side, but the throttle side is a must. If that wiring "joint" is at the edge of the grip or exposed, the constant flexing when twisting the throttle will cause it to fail. With the grip holding it in place, it will last a long time.

I just installed some BikeMaster heated grips and I love them. The grips themselves are fatter than stock with a much more aggressive pattern on them. I've noticed my hands get much less fatigued with these grips. They get hot as hell too on the highest setting. I have most of the wiring tucked up behind my FZ1N headlight, so with a non-N FZ1 you will have PLENTY of room to hide wires.

It comes with a long harness to run back to your battery - with a loop on the negative lead, and the positive lead is just bare. The instructions say to attach it to a 12V source that comes on when the ignition is on so as not to drain your battery if you forget to turn them off. I ended up running mine off of the lead that goes back to the license plate light, since I replaced my stock incandescent bulb with an LED plate eliminator which has much less draw. That lead is on when the bike is on only obviously, so no battery drain when I turn the key off.

Haven't had any issues with this setup yet. It works really well.

I bought these at a local shop for around $60, but it looks like you could get them a little cheaper online.

http://www.bikemaster.com/heated_grips.html

Heated grips

I just bought a set of oxford heated grips and installation was a breeze! I installed them with a relay, so they are only on when the ignition is on. I know they are a little pricy, but the build quality I think is pretty good, and they get HOT!

Back