Fitting a Scottoiler

Has anyone fitted a Scottoiler to their FZ1 Fazer, I find the instructions a bit vague. I'm not the most mechanically minded when it comes to bikes but I have fitted a Scottoiler before to my XJR. I would seem that I have to take the tank off. Can anyone help out please?

Cheers,

Alex .........

here are some simple instructions on the installation. It appears that you remove the passenger seat to install the resevoir and gain access to the vacuum lines, but I don't own a Gen II, so I'm not totally sure.

Other than a self-oiler, on your FJR have you noticed the difference between having it installed/not installed as far as chain life/maintenance?

BroHay

Last edited:
Hi there!

I installed scottoiler on my FZ1S... i followed original instructons...it took me for about 2 and half hours...

First i had to remove side cover and the tank....
n2voSvMyimueHPmc.v.jpg

then connect the vacuum lines and find place under the passanger seat...

TlbaA57a5TPGGT5_.v.jpg

56Nk2Y6bhPbi0fU2.v.jpg

ZjtA_RLtE1lKZQnt.v.jpg

npBpE5UNJakpxZVu.v.jpg

It works great...and the chain is a lot cleaner...

THe oil is dispensed through the tube to the chain and is regulated by the throttle and a vacum. If your vehicle is idling then the vacum pressure from your fuel line is less which in turn opens the valve in the scottoiler less. The more throttle the more oil is on your chain. When the vehicle is turned off then no pressure and no oil hopefully. I have used a Scottoiler in most bikes that I have owned and I find them excellent. If they are set right I used to fill it every couple of months with moderate useage.

Hope this helps.

Alex .....

Yes, and you addressed some of the questions that I had about the scottoiler, as far as overall function. But I still have this question.

What kind of mileage are you getting before you have to replace the chain? Say an average rider, with no scottoiler, gets 15-20k before they replace the chain. Do you get the same, more?

I'm constantly adjusting/maintaining/oiling (every 200-400 miles) because of the riding environment. If I could extend this duration, hmmmmm...

Thanks,
BroHay

I have never had to replace a chain but it is said that you can get 3 times the life out of your chain. Personally when I had my xjr1300 I never adjusted my chain and I never replaced it. Saying that I only had the bike for a couple of years and put 11,000 miles on it. I know that they definately lengthen your chain life and it saves a lot of effort of having to spray chain lube on.

Cheers,

Alex ........

Ah brilliant. This site has already been of benefit. I'll now look at fitting my Scotty on to the new machine. That's a nice piece of installation work right there:)

Hi Folks,

I too can vouch for Scotoilers. I have one on my SV just now and when I pick up my FZ1 this week, it will be one of the first things I do to the bike.

A group of us usually do around 300 - 400 miles every Sunday all over Scotland and the oil reservoir is normally about one third empty when I get home.

As said in a previous post, a Scotoiler has been proven to greatly increase chain life.

Is the electric Scottoiler actually better than the one that runs off the vacuum line, or is it not worth the extra $?

Also, who stocks this in the USA?

THe oil is dispensed through the tube to the chain and is regulated by the throttle and a vacum. If your vehicle is idling then the vacum pressure from your fuel line is less which in turn opens the valve in the scottoiler less. The more throttle the more oil is on your chain. When the vehicle is turned off then no pressure and no oil hopefully. I have used a Scottoiler in most bikes that I have owned and I find them excellent. If they are set right I used to fill it every couple of months with moderate useage.

Hope this helps.

Alex .....

what is vacum pressure????????
as i know it they are opposites.

vacum sucks.
pressure blows

??????????????????????

Is the electric Scottoiler actually better than the one that runs off the vacuum line, or is it not worth the extra $?

Also, who stocks this in the USA?

Ya, I've been thinking about getting one too. With all the rain we get here in FL during summer, that should help a bit.

Back