First Track Day: Mid-Ohio

On Monday, I cashed in a gift that my wife had given for Christmas. Two of us trailered down to the track at Mid-Ohio! What a great time, despite the 95F heat.
Things I discovered:
  • You can't drink too much water when it's 95 and your wearing leathers.
  • Air down your tires. My Pilot Road 3's were at 34 and 32 (compared to 46/36 for street riding) based on the "Michelin Man's" recommendation.
  • It's really hard to stay "15 feet" behind the rider in front of you. This is a suicide move on the street!
  • Mid-Ohio has "classes" for Novice riders between sessions.
  • Remove your "peg scrapers" before going on the track.
  • Hitting a bird at 160mph will rattle an Intermediate-level rider enough that he leaves the session early.

That's just a sample. The beginning of the day felt like the proverbial drinking from the fire hose. By the end of the day I'd gotten the hang of braking and turn-in points, and was picking up speed overall (I think -- we weren't being timed). There is so much to learn that I can see myself going back repeatedly!

Anyway... here are a few laps where I was following a friend in order to give him some decent footage to study later.

Mid-Ohio Novice Track Day 15 July 2013 - YouTube

Cool video! I have been on that track with my gen II before, but not without restrictions. I will be down there for the AMA vintage days this weekend as well, it is a fun track with a decent straight away allowing for some high speeds! Looks like fun!

Back