First Impressions

Butthead

Well, it up for its first service, just shy of 1000kms

Great bike, I chose well

Riding position is comfratable and I'm 6'4"
Throttle response, smooth
Seat is out of the inquisition, thankfully when we go for rides there are frequent refreshment stops
Brakes are fantastic,
Front end, fine, rear shock agricultural, riding on bumpy or rough roads or which we have a fair share of here, doesn't absorb the bumps and it puts you off line, but having said that I haven't really played around with the settings too much, plus I'm at 230lbs, its acceptable, and you adapt,
Great power delivery, only experienced to 6K, and that licence loosing, low range is fine, plenty of poke at mid gears and high revs, ( be even better soon)
Fuel consumption is good as I only use it for hills riding and no comuting.
Gearbox clunky, first always , bleeping it through the gears helps, but dropping to neutral/first when slowing down , its vauge and having to slightly let the clutch out to get it to engage. Hoping that a oil change will improve it , if not I'll live with it
OEM tyres are good, grippy, wide tyres footprint is like riding on rails, bearing in mind that my last ride had a 120/80/18
Looks great

Overall very pleased with it,

I'm glad you enjoy it! Thanks for the initial review!

If you like the motor now, just wait until you take it past 7000, it's a whole different beast. You're in for a treat :)

I'm glad you enjoy it! Thanks for the initial review!

If you like the motor now, just wait until you take it past 7000, it's a whole different beast. You're in for a treat :)

I agree, the bike comes alive after 7,000rpms. The break in miles you cannot see the bikes full potential. I switched over to Yamahalube Full synthetic it seemed to help out the transmission shifting because I thought it was a little clunky also.

Again, what am I missing up above 7000? Could mine have been tuned differently? I know nothin, but mine is pretty even all across the range. I would even say it pulls better in the lower Rpms. But am I mistaking torque for horsepower somehow? I'm only basing it on when I turn the throttle, how fast I feel my head and body push back.

Again, what am I missing up above 7000? Could mine have been tuned differently? I know nothin, but mine is pretty even all across the range. I would even say it pulls better in the lower Rpms. But am I mistaking torque for horsepower somehow? I'm only basing it on when I turn the throttle, how fast I feel my head and body push back.

I'm starting to think that you are a troll :eyebrow:

Why? What did I say wrong?
See my post in the other thread. It's just some of the questions that make it difficult to belive someone that owns and rides a bike would ask.

When I first joined one of the Mods from New York thought that I was possibly a troll because of my moniker. He thought that I was misrepresenting my age. I had to explain what "Old school" was all about. Like I said, don't take it to heart.

After a few bad apples, people get suspicious easier. I am fairly patient but when someone goes out of their way to cause problems I go nuclear on them. A certain recent member comes to mind. You would be hard pressed to find a single post by him. I made sure of that.

Being a noob is no crime, everyone was at some point. As long as it is genuine and not " taking the piss out of us". Like I said, no one appreciates being played for a fool. Give back a bit, even with riding pictures, gear reviews, enter in bike of the month, vote in same. Trust is hard to earn sometimes, sometimes just because of someone else.

Last edited:

Something is wrong. Stock standard if you get on the throttle hard you will get a big rush as you progress high in the rpm. I thought it was about 8k. The front wheel starts to lift then. If yours does not feel like this you have a problem.

Definitely no big rush above seven. I would say I get the most acceleration between 5-7. I'm not watching the speedometer and timing it but that's when I feel the most lift.

It doesn't feel at all like anything is wrong. It's just that when I get up to 7-8, it SEEMS anything above that just accelerates some but just has a higher noise. Like it revs high but there really doesn't seem to be this power rush.

Like I said. It's pretty subtle and even all across the range. I'll play with it today. Maybe I just am doing it wrong. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in right? I can be in second and get up to 9000 Rpms and give it a lot of throttle and see how it feels?

That seems like maybe an exaggeration? Aren't they basically the same but with some minor changes? Like how and motorcycle changes over time. A 2001 R1 is different than a 2012 R1, but they are pretty similar. Not like comparing a Harley to a Ninja.

I don't think that is it. Im starting to think it just that I naturally don't turn the throttle as much when I'm up high. I tried today and that might be what I'm doing. Just compensating by subconsciously easing back. It's hard to explain. I am cautious with the throttle. It just seems that at the same speed, say 60, it doesn't matter if I'm in second at 8000 or fourth at 5000, when I give it a crank it takes off. But it's not like I'm timing it. Maybe it does accelerate faster up high and it's just a different feeling than the lower rpm torquey feeling. Is there a way I can measure or time it?

Turn the throttle more to go faster. When it stops turning, that's the fastest setting. If you can handle 12,000 RPM at 100% throttle, good on ya.

Turn the throttle more to go faster. When it stops turning, that's the fastest setting. If you can handle 12,000 RPM at 100% throttle, good on ya.
As Dustin says, it's not rocket science.
Here's a way to test it for you:
In 2nd gear just off idle revs, hit the throttle hard and the bike bogs a little and then starts to rev hard once it gets into the power band. Next, get the bike to 7k rpm and hit the throttle hard and there's no bog and if you hit it hard and long enough you'll be on your arse.
There is way more power in the upper revs than in the lower revs.

That seems like maybe an exaggeration? Aren't they basically the same but with some minor changes? Like how and motorcycle changes over time. A 2001 R1 is different than a 2012 R1, but they are pretty similar. Not like comparing a Harley to a Ninja.

Let's see, the difference between a Gen1 to Gen2/ Chassis, engine, fueling, wheels, seats, fairing, tank, tire size. Yeah other than those changes they are the same.

There is way more power in the upper revs than in the lower revs.

:stunta]:

146-1108-01-12%2Byamaha-FZ1%2Bhorsepower-torque-chart.jpg

Back