First gear loud bang

Hi went for a ride today but came to a immediate halt due to cyclists riding 3 n 4 a breast ..as I knocked down gears I ended up in neutral the i accident ly revved the engine and knocked it into first gear with a loud bang sort of noise .i then thought shit I've knocked the gears but it rode home perfectly fine ....has anyone else done the same..?..and will it knacker my gear box ...I'm prob just panicking as I've just baught the bike....thanks to all that reply...

I must admit I've had a couple of heart heart stopping noises from the box when I've missed a gear , sounds like the teeth have ripped off .. Looks like you got away with it this time but you wouldn't want to make it a habit

Last edited:
Hi went for a ride today but came to a immediate halt due to cyclists riding 3 n 4 a breast ..as I knocked down gears I ended up in neutral the i accident ly revved the engine and knocked it into first gear with a loud bang sort of noise .i then thought shit I've knocked the gears but it rode home perfectly fine ....has anyone else done the same..?..and will it knacker my gear box ...I'm prob just panicking as I've just baught the bike....thanks to all that reply...

It's funny you wrote this today because this morning on my ride I accidently downshifted instead of upshifting coming out of a turn. I went to bring my toe below the gear shift but accidently clipped it on the way down. I wouldn't worry about it. It was just one time so the gearbox should be fine. Just don't make it a habit. Oh, so you have those damn cyclists running three and four abreast over there as well! Nothing pisses me of more than seeing three bicyclists in the road and one in the bike lane! If you desperately need to chit chat with each other buy some Cardos!!!!! Such a nuisance!

They may not have been chatting if running a double pace line. We used to do that often until suburbia grew to ridiculous proportions. Now we just run a single pace line in keeping within the law. However our roads in the States are much wider than those in the UK so even a single rotating pace line may occupy the whole lane. Share the road. :)

Yes, you will get a loud clunk when dropping the gear box into first without feathering the clutch.

Last edited:
They may not have been chatting if running a double pace line. We used to do that often until suburbia grew to ridiculous proportions. Now we just run a single pace line in keeping within the law. However our roads in the States are much wider than those in the UK so even a single rotating pace line may occupy the whole lane. Share the road. :)

Exactly, share the road. Something they seem to have forgotten here in NY. Nothing worse than coming around a blind turn to find three bicycles in your lane and one in the bike lane. They must know that it's a dangerous situation for both them, cars and motorcycles.

Back