finally got it together

i finally got my dented ebay gas tank in the mail, as well as my m4 slip on, clutch side mirror mount and my pazzo levers. i put all on, so now i just need to buy mirrors and figure out the mechanics of the bike, because it still wont start. also, i'm pretty sure i snapped the clutch cable, because i put the pazzo on and it was tight, without thinking i pulled the lever and heard a weird noise and then the lever wouldn't pull back to it's original position unless i pushed it back, so i think i need a new cable! :doh2::cry:

15697_378605605727_645340727_4266338_2995148_n.jpg

15697_378606070727_645340727_4266344_1397690_n.jpg

15697_378606160727_645340727_4266345_3019629_n.jpg

15697_378606280727_645340727_4266347_4580759_n.jpg

I would mmake sure that nothing else on the clutch arm side got damaged. Also as far as wiring goes, have you made sure that everything that has an affect on the ignition is correct and working?

detective work

Check the spring at the top of the clutch housing and the tab at the end of the cable. If both are as they should be, then the cable is probably snapped internally. Have you checked all the fuses? and the fuel line for kinks, you did have the tank laid all the way back in the original photos.

By the way the bike looks good, and the dents look really minor.

Check the spring at the top of the clutch housing and the tab at the end of the cable. If both are as they should be, then the cable is probably snapped internally. Have you checked all the fuses? and the fuel line for kinks, you did have the tank laid all the way back in the original photos.

By the way the bike looks good, and the dents look really minor.

thanks, i think it looks good. it will look even better once i get the non dented (but has a small crack in the bottom) tank fixed and painted to match the fender and tail. as far as the mechanics go, i haven't checked the fuses, i think the fuel hose is good to go. as for the clutch, i need to check out the spring, the tab was good. it gives resistance when i pull the lever, but it doesn't retract and give negative resistance, so maybe its not internally snapped.... idk, i am just happy the bike is coming together! :flash:

It's coming together.

I don't have the tech experience you need, but I'm kinda don't like your clutch report. Must be simple, though.

Check the fuel line. Seems like it should start.

Looking good Paul! Well, it is easy enough to check the cable. Disconnect the clutch lever end and grab the cable end with some pliers and pull with a little force. If you don't end up with an arm's length of cable swinging around, then it is probably the spring at the other end that either broke or came undone. While apart, look for a shorter path for that cable that will allow the steering to go from lock to lock without binding.

Starting. I think the first question we need to answer is, with the ignition enabled, do you have spark? Once we know that answer, we can certainly help you from there. :D

Looking good Paul! Well, it is easy enough to check the cable. Disconnect the clutch lever end and grab the cable end with some pliers and pull with a little force. If you don't end up with an arm's length of cable swinging around, then it is probably the spring at the other end that either broke or came undone. While apart, look for a shorter path for that cable that will allow the steering to go from lock to lock without binding.

Starting. I think the first question we need to answer is, with the ignition enabled, do you have spark? Once we know that answer, we can certainly help you from there. :D

i'm going out to check on it now. i might try to change the plugs out. never done it before. my friend justin is going to come over for band practice on thursday, and he knows a lot more about bikes, so we will see if we can resurrect it then. bike is in my parents garage in the suburbs, so i don't always have access to it, living in the city...

it happened to me once....altough I was changing through the gears and then 4th was not there.....in rush hour traffic.

probably the tab on the right side that the cable attached to....there is a tab that if the right angle is put on it....will bend and let everything break free. it is just a matter of putting it all back together again....

another thing to check is the clutch adjustment on the left brake. should have right around 1/4" of play before it feels like it is enganing.

as for the starting....I'd suspect the bowls are filled with crap limiting the flow of gas....probably need to pull the carbs and give everything the once over....

more to come....

i figured out the clutch, i just had the pin too tight and it wouldn't release the lever.:doh2: as for the bike running, i think i might have to take off the carbs and clean them, which i have been avoiding because it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. the bike always turns over, but today it actually fired up for about 1 second and that was all she wrote. does this information change anything that i should be trying to do?

Carbs being gummed up sounds like the culprit. If it fired, then all the other items are working. va_rider can tell you how to get this done quicker. :D

the carbs are tough to get off. that air box is crazy. definitely the pain in the ass i though it would be. so i almost have them off, but not quite. at least i'm making some progress

Back