FCE, Sludge and Flies?!

Now I’ve introduced myself over in the newbie section, I’ve got a couple of questions for you guys!

First off, my bike is the Naked 2006 model. The bloke who owned it before me had it for commuting occasionaly and a Triumph Sprint as his weekend bike. Meaning that the FZ is in near mint condition & has done a mere 10000 kays (or roughly 6000 miles for the yanks & poms) since 2006!

The guy before me put a tail-tidy on it, and a carbon Acropovic pipe & that was all.

So my questions are:
I NEED to get an FCE to fix the painful fuel cut issue, however I’m in Australia.
Does anyone have any experience in procuring one outside of the states? Whats the best/cheapest way to get myself one?

Also there seems to be a build-up of oil sludge down near the breather hoses on the bike’s left hand side. Its up above the breather hose outlet itself, suggesting that whatever’s leaking is coming out of the engine somewhere. Has anyone else experienced something similar? (I’ll try and post a photo)

Lastly, I’ve heard much talk of “wiring the flies”
I know what they are, & what they do under normal operation, but what exactly does keeping them open achieve?

Thanks heaps guys!

As far as the FCE, your best bet is to contact Ivan at Ivan's Performance Products and see if he has a reseller in Australia. I know he does in Europe. Barring that he would probably ship one to you, but the postage will probably add $30-40 to the price. If he wont ship internationally contact me and I will help you get one.

As for the oil sludge w/o seeing pictures it's hard to tell. Could be that the crankcase was overfilled during one of the oil changes and more than usual was blown out.

Keeping them open leads to increased throttle response at higher RPMs at the expense of some low RPM response. You probably need a PC III or V if you plan to keep them open to add additional fuel. My suggestion would be to leave them alone for now if you're going to get the FCE. The other thing the FCE will do is open them faster. Hope this helps...

Can you post some pics of the oil sludge for us to look at? Perhaps a wider shot and a closeup or two?

I'm going to get Copperdog's modified flies and get them installed this winter when the bike is not being used. But, I also intend to have a PC V on hand to install and begin toying with maps as well. :D

well i did some investigating and it seems the sludge is a huge buildup of chain crud thats flicked off the front sprocket and deposited itsself down near the kickstand!

Problem easily solved with a can of degreaser :D

well i did some investigating and it seems the sludge is a huge buildup of chain crud thats flicked off the front sprocket and deposited itsself down near the kickstand!

Problem easily solved with a can of degreaser :D

Well that's a simple enough issue to fix...

Back