Favorite .22LR Tactical Rifle

Anybody have a favorite?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F8Z5ooMZpY]S&W M&P 15-22 with Slide Fire Stock Shooting - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLH2b6sEVA4]S&W M&P 15-22 - Favorite 22lr Rifle! - YouTube[/ame]

I own an Bushmaster .22 LR Carbon 15. Weights about 3.8 lbs. With Black Dog Machine 24 round mags. Sews holes like butter! Deadnuts accurate too. I also only shoot CCI jacketed rounds. That all said, I haven't shot the rifle in a couple of years.

View attachment 14894

The SW 1522 is a unique rifle, do you own one? The way it operates goes totally against good shooting principles. It's odd how the upper receiver most on the lower receiver or buffer, or whatever they are calling it.

It s my understanding that the M&P 1522, unlike most other AR style 22s, is the most like a real AR. It has an separate upper and lower similar to an AR and the bolt is very similar as well. Most of the other 22s are molded plastic in one piece for the upper and lower and simply look like an AR in the same way a BB gun might be made to look like an AR.

Dunno. I bought my Bushy about 10 or 15 years ago, aside from a true AR15 .22LR conversion , at the time it is just like an AR15 style rifle. Upper and Lower receiver, similar bolt and buffer.

I bought it so when I when to the range as a civilian the switchology was the same as my Army M4/M16 and the muscle memory carried over. Same reason I bought a Beretta 92FS.

I wasn't happy with anything on the market so I decided to piece together my own. I used a dpms lower receiver and a dedicated 22lr upper made by Nordic, by doing it this way I can use the lower receiver with my .223 upper if I decide to. This has become one of my favorite guns to take to the range as ammo is a fraction of the cost of taking out the .223

My .22 doesn't buck at all. Round after round it is dead steady. Dirt cheap to shoot too! I also like the short pull on it. I've always found a standard M16 to have too long of a stock for me.

Nothing beats a Colt

I was recently in the market for the same gun. I had just finished my RR AR build and came in under budget, so i figured i would add a dedicated .22lr AR platform to the collection. I shot the Mossberg Plinkster but it was extremely picky on ammo. It also was the cheapest feeling out of the three i tested, it truly felt like an airsoft or toy gun. I also tried the S&W your looking at but it too is somewhat picky on ammo (it even comes with a list it doesnt recommended). It was a better feeling gun than the Mossberg but it too is made entirely of polymer. It did feel more gun like with all the workings of a traditional AR and similar break down, and it was slightly more accurate than the Mossberg. Then I picked up the Colt M4 .22, this is one nice gun. It has a forged lower and upper giving it a "real gun" feel. It was the easiest to breakdown and clean as well as being the most accurate of all three. My only complaint was the trigger pull, its right on par with an AR and similar guns but its not the "Colt" trigger pull I am accustomed to. It is the one I own and now love, its a ton of fun for a fraction of the cost of shooting your. 223. But with the same feel. Hope my review helps you make a decision, I know my mind was almost made up from just holding them (Colt) but after shooting all three it was a hands down decision for me. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Ride safe! Shoot safe!

Back