Exhaust gaskets

soccerguy83

Any tips or tricks for keeping the exhaust gaskets in place while trying to align all four manifolds with the ports angled down, fighting gravity here folks! Will hopefully be putting my exhaust back on tonight after pulling the oil pan and replacing the o-ring for the water pump drain tube.

Thanks in advance!

Good idea guys! Well I'm hoping this sorts my leak, I ordered the o-ring will be installing this evening and buttoning everything up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out as planned.

Wow. Am I the only old school guy here? Good old fashion grease. Will not affect the seal and will burn away with time. Any silicone that is left to dry will eventually burn away and create a leak. Ultra copper is also a good idea, if you have it available.

Wow. Am I the only old school guy here? Good old fashion grease. Will not affect the seal and will burn away with time. Any silicone that is left to dry will eventually burn away and create a leak. Ultra copper is also a good idea, if you have it available.

Im with you !! ,,, youth of today eh ;) )))

Oh yeah unless the gasket falls on the floor then you have an old school greasy mess on you hands brillant!!!

Grease is easier to clean than silicon if it gets muck in it from hitting the floor. I use grease or copper sealant if I have it handy. I didn't need either with the Arrow headers.

Grease is easier to clean than silicon if it gets muck in it from hitting the floor. I use grease or copper sealant if I have it handy. I didn't need either with the Arrow headers.

Yes it is but if you read my post i said to put a small amount of silcone and waite overnight for it to dry grease doesnt dry

Yes it is but if you read my post i said to put a small amount of silcone and waite overnight for it to dry grease doesnt dry

The fact that grease doesn't dry is a good thing. You don't want anything to dry between the gasket and it's mating surface. Anything left to dry between the gasket and the head will eventually burn off and could possibly cause leaks.

used Ultra Copper, worked like a charm. BTW I must say these things are loud as hell without a muffler on them. Also found that I must invest in a better torque wrench! One that you have to read doesn't work so well upside down!! :banghead:

Back