Engine Rotor - Why has Yamaha not issued a recall?

I have a friend who just sold a 2007 R1 and sure enough with 20 miles the rotor let go. Thankfully the new owner shut the bike down immediately so all the shit was stuck to the stator. He's replacing the stator, rotor, rectifier and multiple oil changes.
20230614_134456.jpg

such a massive blunder by yamaha. they have been designing those for decades, and they just thought, yeah a bit of glue will be fine. and then they charge an arm and a leg for the official part.

I have a friend who just sold a 2007 R1 and sure enough with 20 miles the rotor let go. Thankfully the new owner shut the bike down immediately so all the shit was stuck to the stator. He's replacing the stator, rotor, rectifier and multiple oil changes.
View attachment 27904

So very lucky! What a mess and, yeah, Yamaha should be held responsible for such a poor design. It's literally shrapnel just waiting to come unglued!

I work in manufacturing, and I can tell you why Yamaha won't do anything about it. I'm not saying they're right, but just why. Couple of reasons. First and most importantly, the company sees little danger to the user. Secondly, it happens outside of the warranty period.

Quick story here, I back in 2005, I bought a brand new Chevrolet Silverado as a work truck (I was an electrician at the time). In 2008 or 2009, I forget, I noticed coolant smell after parking. No drips on the ground but definite coolant leak somewhere. Turns out it was leaking at the intake manifold gasket a the rear of the engine next to the firewall. I was just a few months out of the factory warranty, so I appealed to GM for help to fix the issue. They said "no". I asked my local dealer about the repair and was quoted nearly $1000. They volunteered information that GM was well aware of this gasket failing, and that there was (and had been) a fix that was referred to as a "problems solver gasket". I asked why GM wouldn't just use the problem solver gasket and if they knew it was an issue why wouldn't they help out a customer? I was told that since it normally occurred outside of warranty, and didn't pose any danger to the user they didn't see it as their responsibility. FWIW, I traded the truck in for an 07 f150 4x4 (which was actually a great truck it just drank the gas because I had it slightly lifted with 35 inch tires) and now only drive my Toyota Tacoma.

Last edited:
I work in manufacturing, and I can tell you why Yamaha won't do anything about it. I'm not saying they're right, but just why. Couple of reasons. First and most importantly, the company sees little danger to the user. Secondly, it happens outside of the warranty period.

Quick story here, I back in 2005, I bought a brand new Chevrolet Silverado as a work truck (I was an electrician at the time). In 2008 or 2009, I forget, I noticed coolant smell after parking. No drips on the ground but definite coolant leak somewhere. Turns out it was leaking at the intake manifold gasket a the rear of the engine next to the firewall. I was just a few months out of the factory warranty, so I appealed to GM for help to fix the issue. They said "no". I asked my local dealer about the repair and was quoted nearly $1000. They volunteered information that GM was well aware of this gasket failing, and that there was (and had been) a fix that was referred to as a "problems solver gasket". I asked why GM wouldn't just use the problem solver gasket and if they knew it was an issue why wouldn't they help out a customer? I was told that since it normally occurred outside of warranty, and didn't pose any danger to the user they didn't see it as their responsibility. FWIW, I traded the truck in and now only drive my Toyota Tacoma.

Tacoma ftw!

Yes, been a "Tacoma bro" for a few years! Started off with a 1st gen Tundra 6 years ago, sold it in short order after realizing it was way more truck than I needed and the mpg was appalling. Currently (and hopefully forever after) running an '09 TRD Sport 4WD that is set up similar to yours re: suspension. I'm slowly "restoring" her, one problem at a time... 😆

IMG_2887.jpg

My rotor gave out at around 40k miles and luckily I was just as I was about to shut the bike off after a good run. I dropped the motor and was able to find some metallic chunks in the valvetrain area. So I ran a couple of gallons of oil top to bottom and picked out all the chunks in the top and bottom end. It was a mess. Replace it if you like to make 100k+ miles out of the bike like I did

My rotor gave out at around 40k miles and luckily I was just as I was about to shut the bike off after a good run. I dropped the motor and was able to find some metallic chunks in the valvetrain area. So I ran a couple of gallons of oil top to bottom and picked out all the chunks in the top and bottom end. It was a mess. Replace it if you like to make 100k+ miles out of the bike like I did
All these stories are wild. It sucks, but yeah…everybody should fork out the 400+ for the oem replacement and just do it. I did mine at 50k miles.

Back