Engine Rotor - Why has Yamaha not issued a recall?

I came across this:

And sure enough Yamaha updated the part silently since this is a serious problem.
Planning on swapping it in my 2013 soon, since even some 2015s have the old part...
Absolutely bonkers how this was swept under the rug.

I'd be less mad about it if the part failed and just prevented the bike from running until you swap the part. But nope! This can outright destroy your engine if it fails.

Anyone here have this part fail on you or have you already done this as preventative maintenance?

Yamaha is not going to do anything about this issue unless forced to do so via a lawsuit. Many, including myself have replaced the rotor with the upgraded one as “preventative maintenance” others ride more and worry less. This subject has been discussed at great length on several forums and other social media platforms.

I'm curious...Of all the guys on here who replaced there rotors, how many of them appeared fine? How many people have actually had them fail?

Replaced mine at 20,000km, looked like new, I know a couple of guys whose bikes have 60,000 and 120,000 still on the original rotors but there are many more whose have also failed, comes down to risk, if it does go pear shaped its got the potential to cost you

here is just a random thought:
Can start an online petition and get fz1 owners signature. Then present the argument and signatures to Yamaha USA customer support to make a push.

I image the article states along the lines of:
"Yamaha has become aware a potential problem that could affect the durability of the Stator Rotor of certain 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Yamaha motorcycles equipped with R1 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of motorcycles will actually develop a problem. Motorcycle affect may have stator rotor assembly damage. The affect motorcycles may experience vibrations or noise from the stator region."

references:
to make an online petition:
contact page for yamaha:
USED BMW recall n54 high pressure fuel pump as blueprint for legal terminology and format. SIB 13 03 09

I came across this:

And sure enough Yamaha updated the part silently since this is a serious problem.
Planning on swapping it in my 2013 soon, since even some 2015s have the old part...
Absolutely bonkers how this was swept under the rug.

I'd be less mad about it if the part failed and just prevented the bike from running until you swap the part. But nope! This can outright destroy your engine if it fails.

Anyone here have this part fail on you or have you already done this as preventative maintenance?

My FZ1 in UK was bought new in 2014 from Yamaha and thought it would not have the stator problem only to find out that when checking the frame number with Yamaha that it was 2011 when assembled! So don’t be misled by date of registration and actual age of bike. My bike must have been hanging around a long time before I bought it.

I recently inquired with Yamaha dealer in York about replacement and they discouraged it! They viewed it as not an issue to warrant replacement but would do so if I wanted it done. I declined.

The problem is I don’t know whether there is a problem. Its a costly replacement

Just happened to me. Started the engine and heard a strange whirring noise from left hand side which went away in a few seconds. Engine still running fine and got me home with no problems. Started the bike this morning and started to experience electrical problems on the way to work. LCD display went blank then came back abs light came on. Turned round went home and swapped to another bike.
Stuck a multimeter on the battery this evening which is not charging. I don't think (hope) that pieces of magnet are scattered through the engine as it happened at tick over. I have read that sometimes the magnets drop off intact rather than shattering.

Bit naughty of yamaha to not do a recall for what is a potential hand grenade in your engine.

I'll update when I know more.

Bought from a guy who was having charging problems allegedly the day I went to look at it. 08 with 54k. I took the oil pan off, cleaned and changed the oil twice. Everything seems great so far.

Attachments

• 80E83EEB-C7C0-497B-A717-1A62491B10FA.jpeg
    80E83EEB-C7C0-497B-A717-1A62491B10FA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 3BFCD4EA-B1DF-4F78-BD3F-772DD6C4D898.jpeg
    3BFCD4EA-B1DF-4F78-BD3F-772DD6C4D898.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 54CDA268-DF9E-4246-BE5B-209678FC4AFB.jpeg
    54CDA268-DF9E-4246-BE5B-209678FC4AFB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
I had this obsession with rotor last year when I bought my motorcycle from respectable motorcycle technician who fix bikes for living who assured me that he replaced rotor. Invoice as well. Unfortunately when I took a bike form a trailer and went out for a spin rotor cover was leaking oil. Then I find out that rotor hasn't been replaced because it's the same faulty rotor from Yamaha. Long story short I lost interest with getting a replacement rotor after lad blocked me on Facebook. I will replace it one day but not in rush to do so. I was waiting till it fail but it's fine. Hopefully you will not hear from me that rotor actually failed.
If you feel that you not trust your bike because this rotor. Get this replaced. Or like myself just ride and wait for it to fail 😜

mine failed a few years back at 40,000km. I heard a crunch and then the bike wouldnt start when i went to ride it next.

Some of the magnets ground into tiny fragments got stuck to the other magnets. Most of it stayed in the rotor housing. some fragments must have escaped down into the engine i would assume.

IMG_20190403_165115.jpg

here is the damage some of the fragments caused to the engine housing where the rotor is located

IMG_20190425_132047.jpg

I bought the offical yamaha replacemnt. it cost over $500 here in australia. There was none in stock to yamaha aus said they would order it from japan. I told them to bugger off and got it $440 from the netherlands which included shipping ! Why it was cheaper to get it from europe than japan which is closer i have no idea, just yamaha dealers trying to rip people off i guess

IMG_20190425_131341.jpg

Any way i installed the new part, changed oil and filter and the bike has been running fine ever since which has been good !

Back