Easy tire mounting.

I came up with a cheap and easy way to mount tires.

I used zip ties. I started with the small ones I had at home but they were not strong enough. so I went to harbor freight and picked up a nice cheap pack.

a4d38d62.jpg

then I installed one every 6-8" and cinched it downed until the beads were touching.

ed6ec23c.jpg

then I put one side on and fitted the beads to the center of the rim where its the deepest and try to push it on as far as you can.

282756ee.jpg

then put your knees on the tire near the middle and press the tire on working from the outside to the center. or you could use a rubber mallet to help.
edit; I did use soap and water as you can see on the black.

dfeaa162.jpg

I hope this will help someone...

cool. idk if i would try it, because i'd be afraid to mess it up somehow, and tires are one of those things that i don't want going haywire while i'm riding. but it's good to know about this trick. thanks.

I used a hacksaw with a demolition sawzall blade to remove the tire and a dremal to cut the bead.

Just cut a chunk out about 2" wide across the tire down to the rim on both sides. Then use the dremal w/ cutoff wheel to cut the wires. Very easy and quick for me...

I also know a trick to balance a wheel/tire with and axle and 2 jackstands. Maybe I'll do a write up on that as well.

I'd like to see it done on a 190/50 or 200 wide rear. There's a bunch of difference between a 140 or 150 X 70 series and a 190 or 200 X 50 series, especialy when the relief in the wheel is very shallow and there's not much room to work with. It's quite easy to mess the bead up if you're not careful. I learned the hard way.

I don't know fellas, this borders on time versys money. I would rather pay cycle gear 20 bucks for them to mount, balance and be responsible for damages. Rather than spend an hour screwing around cutting beads, hacksawing, and the like just to end up with a tire and rim that may be out of balance.

I don't know fellas, this borders on time versys money. I would rather pay cycle gear 20 bucks for them to mount, balance and be responsible for damages. Rather than spend an hour screwing around cutting beads, hacksawing, and the like just to end up with a tire and rim that may be out of balance.

Not really -- it's more like where you want to allocate your money. If you are really concerned about time and quality of work, then you buy your own professional tire changer and do it yourself. This means you don't have to leave your garage to change a tire.

Plus, you don't end up with anything undone -- you balance them yourself.

What cracks me up is this --- many guys will not hesitate to spend $600 to $1500 for new pipes and stuff that really doesn't have any return but won't consider buying proper equipment to change their own tires.

This equipment will pay for itself over time.

I agree with you 100% there. Being a former professional mechanic and machinist, the value of the right tool for the right job is immeasureable to me. I however only have one bike at this time and the investment in a tire machine is not cost efective for me. But........if I had more room, multiple bikes, like I had before family, I would be posting pics of my new tire machine and balancer!

Hey thank you for posting, I'll give this a try. If my cycle gear charged 20 I would take it to them but they charge 30 per tire which is bs I'd rather buy the machine myself.

Back