Dunlop Roadsmart 2s

I have always used Michelin pilot roads, but thought I'd try the Roadsmarts for a change. As I fit them myself, the first thing I found was they were so much tighter to get on the rim, it was a bit of a mission but I did it after I modified the mount bar. This also made it easier to blow the bead onto the rim as there was a better seal than the Michy. The Dunlops have a yellow circle on the tyre wall which I'm told goes to the valve, which I did on the rear after first balancing the rim alone, but this required quite a few balance weights. On the front I put the un balanced rim on the balancer & marked the light spot, then fitted the tyre with the yellow circle to the light spot on the rim, & this worked well needing only 1oz of weight to balance the wheel.
Now I need to see how the tyres work & wear. Just some info.

Well I only put about 100 miles on mine so far. Looking forward to putting some mileage when the weather finally breaks around here. It's been a cold March so far :(

I looked at some Roadsmart II tires at a local cycle store yesterday. I found that the body of the tire was extremely firm. You could not press in on the tread with your thumbs and make the tire deform. Rock hard.

I have had some touring tires on my other bike that exhibit the same characteristics. These tires are getting excellent mileage, are wearing very evenly, etc. The traction on that tire has been very good, however I never push that bike as hard as the FZ1.

So I look at Dunlops classification for the Roadsmart II tire and they recommend it for STREET usage. They have Race,Track, and Street. I would think the Roadsmart II would provide excellent mileage, but I am not confident that the traction might be sufficient for spirited riding through curves.

Anybody have an opinion about the level of traction these tires get?

How's this for a spirited ride, mate ? This was a track day. Scraping the pegs in every corner, chasing a Daytona 675 on Pirelli Supercorsas with a 40 kg slimmer guy on it...
I think you'll be fine ..

Last edited:
I looked at some Roadsmart II tires at a local cycle store yesterday. I found that the body of the tire was extremely firm. You could not press in on the tread with your thumbs and make the tire deform. Rock hard.

I have had some touring tires on my other bike that exhibit the same characteristics. These tires are getting excellent mileage, are wearing very evenly, etc. The traction on that tire has been very good, however I never push that bike as hard as the FZ1.

So I look at Dunlops classification for the Roadsmart II tire and they recommend it for STREET usage. They have Race,Track, and Street. I would think the Roadsmart II would provide excellent mileage, but I am not confident that the traction might be sufficient for spirited riding through curves.

Anybody have an opinion about the level of traction these tires get?

Unless you try going all Maquez while riding them, they offer plenty of traction for the street.

The wannabe racers on this site are NOT going to run out of grip on the street with RoadSmart 2's. These are fine tires for the FZ1. Would they be the best track tire? No, of course not, but for the street they give great grip and good mileage.

I'm curious for more feedback on the Roadsmart II from members on the forum. An unscientific and subjective look at them tells me they are probably not ideal fall/winter tires when matched up against the Pilot Road series or possibly the Angel GT

I rocked this one till the VERY end.

92A2D5E1-F1F7-4B8D-8501-B81E60682982-1200-000000EF590353AB.jpg

Have same tire configuration as LooseNut. Q2 in front, Roadsmart on rear. Very, very happy with the resulting handling and wear from this combination.

BTW: Snow, ice, sleet here in Western New York last night. Summer gone!!!

Back