dunlop roadsmart 2 vs michelin pilot road 3

i have the pilot road 3 on my st and they are by far the best set of tires ive had on her ive had dunlops bridgestones metzlers the pilots are the best great ride and great in the rain

I've never had the Dunlop Roadsmart 2, but I've been very happy with the PR3's. I don't intentionally ride in the rain/wet, but I have been caught in the rain, including a heavy downpour, on several occasions and the PR3's were amazing. I can only compare them to the stock tires, which I hated. I even changed them a bit early (6500 miles) just to get rid of them. I've had the PR3's for about 7000 miles and the front looks great and the rear is starting to show signs of wear. All the roads around me are flat and straight, so the rear is starting to flatten a bit, but nothing bad yet. I'm hoping to push it to as close to 10,000 miles as I can.

You have most likely seen the threads, but if not here is the link to the individual threads discussing the tires you are asking about.

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Dunlop Roadsmart 2

It doesn't look like either is a bad choice. Let us know what you pick and how they work for you. Pictures are always nice.

Last edited:
Superbike mag (British mag) tested both on a ZX-10R last year, on the street and the track. It was a push, but they leaned to the PR3's.

The truth is that if you have been happy with the stock tires, any current model sport touring tire will work well as they are superior in every way. I rarely see anything other than a damp road when it comes to wet conditions and I prefer the feel of the Dunlop RS2 over the Michelin PR2 I used. The Dunlop squirms around much less under acceleration.

I run a Dunlop Q2 up front and in combo with the RS2, I am very happy!

From all the reviews I have seen the consensus seems to be that the Roadsmart 2s are slightly better in the dry and the PR3s slightly better in the rain. That said I don't think you can go wrong with either one for the street.

I guess the other thing the Dunlops have going for them are price...

I may try the Roadsmart II next time I have to replace both tires. They look great on paper. I am more partial to Michelin and Pirelli based on what I've tried.

Last edited:
From all the reviews I have seen the consensus seems to be that the Roadsmart 2s are slightly better in the dry and the PR3s slightly better in the rain. That said I don't think you can go wrong with either one for the street.

I guess the other thing the Dunlops have going for them are price...

This is what I was thinking as well.

The truth is that if you have been happy with the stock tires, any current model sport touring tire will work well as they are superior in every way. I rarely see anything other than a damp road when it comes to wet conditions and I prefer the feel of the Dunlop RS2 over the Michelin PR2 I used. The Dunlop squirms around much less under acceleration.

I run a Dunlop Q2 up front and in combo with the RS2, I am very happy!

I have only ridden the Q2s on my Daytona but haven't pushed them yet. But with the PR2s I am not liking the lack of feedback and grip beyond 1/2 way their lifespan. I am just not comfortable in flicking the bike in the corners towards the end of their lifespan as a result my pace also suffers.

with the PR2s I am not liking the lack of feedback and grip beyond 1/2 way their lifespan. I am just not comfortable
Yep, the PR2 sure does sap confidence as they get woody and incommunicative. I'm trying the RS2 now in the hope they don't do the same. 2800km in and so far so good. A little more feedback than the PR2 and much softer front carcass.
Have you considered the Pirelli Angel GT?

I may try the Roadsmart II next time I have to replace both tires. They look great on paper. I am more partial to Michelin and Pirelli based on what I've tried.

Well in the end I went for Bridgstone BT-T30 the new sports tourer. After beating myself up for weeks and reading many forums I decided that Ron Haslam and Mr Rossi are no mugs and would not endorse if they thought they were crap. All this after the TT Superbikes had Dunlops 1,2,3. Will try to review and post. Off to tour Ireland on the 20th.

Back